Texas

Hi fellow Texans! I'm in the DFW area, am new to chickens and I have questions!
I could use some of your guidance on what breed can handle our climate, how to help them through the summer, and where I should buy from.
So I'll go into my plans and what I'm looking for so you can offer your best advice.

I've never kept chickens before. I'm in the process of building a coop which I should finish in few weeks. I'm planning on 3 hens that I'll free range in my back yard (1/2 acre).

The actual coop is 4 1/2' x 4'. I have big windows I'll be able to open up on either side. I may mount a fan in one of the windows to get some air movement when it gets hot with little breeze like it does in July/August.

They'll have a run that's 4'x8' but I plan to let them wander my back yard daily. The run is really for protection in case the dogs need some training before I let them out or if we need to confine them.

I want to keep them for eggs/pets. I want to get a dual purpose breed in case I decide to process them later (though I doubt I'll be able to do it, lol!). It's just me and my husband so three hens that lay every other day would give me more eggs than I need. I'd prefer a long term layer.

Breeds I like so far are Rhode Island Reds, Dominique, Brahmas, Ameraucanas, and Australorp and I'm open to additional suggestions.

My plan was to get pullets. Raising chicks seems a bit daunting to me and I'm not home enough to check in on them properly. I've seen some info on making sure there's no corners for your pullets to get stuck in. Some info says they'll be fine. How do you introduce pullets into a coop?

I saw an ad on craigslist for someone who sells chickens that lives in Terrell. In their ad, they listed the following breeds:
Dominique

Golden Sex links
Cinnamon Queens
Golden Comet
Cuckoo Marans
Ameraucanas
Black Australorps
Red and Black Sex links
New Hampshire Reds
Plymouth Barred Rocks
Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
Golden Laced Wyandottes
Buff Orpingtons
Light Brahmas
Blue Laced Wyandottes
Black Jersey Giants
Buff Brahmas
Speckled Sussex
Rhode Island Reds
Welsumers and Silver laced Wyandottes

Has anyone used this place in Terrell before? Is there a good breeder on the Ft Worth side of the metroplex? What should I look for to determine quality breeders?

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Welcome! Sounds like you got it planned out! There are several of us near you that im sure would be willing to help you out with some birds!

Americaunas are great, though moat of us have Easter eggers which are a hardy americauna cross and they do well around here, plus lay a pretty blue gren egg. Australorps are definately on my wish list as well, they wer bres for heat. Barred rocks do well also, but didnt see them on your list.

I have never heard of the corner thing...my coup is a square, wouldnt worry about that much.

A few days ago I posted a pic of my faverolle with the gimpy leg. Watching it closer the last few days, it looks like it may be on the bottom of the pecking order. When I hang the feed, it just runs around underneath and catches what the other chickens drop. So I'm really thinking the leg is due to nutrient deficiency. I just separated it but it's calling out to the rest of the flock and still not eating. Just give it time? Should I put one more of the more docile birds in to keep it company? It's 6 weeks old

A few days ago I posted a pic of my faverolle with the gimpy leg. Watching it closer the last few days, it looks like it may be on the bottom of the pecking order. When I hang the feed, it just runs around underneath and catches what the other chickens drop. So I'm really thinking the leg is due to nutrient deficiency. I just separated it but it's calling out to the rest of the flock and still not eating. Just give it time? Should I put one more of the more docile birds in to keep it company? It's 6 weeks old
In general they aren't eating as much because of the heat. I would separate it and put it with one other bird that isn't snarky and make sure to give extra protein either as supplement or change to a chick feed so that while it is hot, they will still get decent nutrition when they dont' eat much. I'd also probably put vitamins/electrolytes in the water.

In general they aren't eating as much because of the heat.  I would separate it and put it with one other bird that isn't snarky and make sure to give extra protein either as supplement or change to a chick feed so that while it is hot, they will still get decent nutrition when they dont' eat much.  I'd also probably put vitamins/electrolytes in the water.

Thanks! They were definitely all eating just not the one. As soon as I put my docile silkie in with it, it started eating!

Hi fellow Texans! I'm in the DFW area, am new to chickens and I have questions!
I could use some of your guidance on what breed can handle our climate, how to help them through the summer, and where I should buy from.
So I'll go into my plans and what I'm looking for so you can offer your best advice.

I've never kept chickens before. I'm in the process of building a coop which I should finish in few weeks. I'm planning on 3 hens that I'll free range in my back yard (1/2 acre).

The actual coop is 4 1/2' x 4'. I have big windows I'll be able to open up on either side. I may mount a fan in one of the windows to get some air movement when it gets hot with little breeze like it does in July/August.

They'll have a run that's 4'x8' but I plan to let them wander my back yard daily. The run is really for protection in case the dogs need some training before I let them out or if we need to confine them.

I want to keep them for eggs/pets. I want to get a dual purpose breed in case I decide to process them later (though I doubt I'll be able to do it, lol!). It's just me and my husband so three hens that lay every other day would give me more eggs than I need. I'd prefer a long term layer.

Breeds I like so far are Rhode Island Reds, Dominique, Brahmas, Ameraucanas, and Australorp and I'm open to additional suggestions.

My plan was to get pullets. Raising chicks seems a bit daunting to me and I'm not home enough to check in on them properly. I've seen some info on making sure there's no corners for your pullets to get stuck in. Some info says they'll be fine. How do you introduce pullets into a coop?

I saw an ad on craigslist for someone who sells chickens that lives in Terrell. In their ad, they listed the following breeds:
[COLOR=222222]Dominique
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Golden Sex links[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Cinnamon Queens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Golden Comet[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Cuckoo Marans[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Ameraucanas[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Black Australorps[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Red and Black Sex links[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]New Hampshire Reds[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Plymouth Barred Rocks[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Blue Laced Red Wyandottes[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Golden Laced Wyandottes[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Buff Orpingtons[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Light Brahmas[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Blue Laced Wyandottes[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Black Jersey Giants[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Buff Brahmas[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Speckled Sussex[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Rhode Island Reds[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Welsumers and Silver laced Wyandottes[/COLOR]

Has anyone used this place in Terrell before? Is there a good breeder on the Ft Worth side of the metroplex? What should I look for to determine quality breeders?

Any advice is appreciated!
I think you'd like the Orpingtons. There a great dual purpose bird. Good hardy birds, lay well and are good mothers if you wanted to go that route and there meaty if you wanted that as well. There temperament is great and love to be held. I myself need to get more my rooster got killed. He was an awesome bird I would pick him up and let all the guests hold and pet him.

Howdy all newcomers! Welcome to the world of chickens. You will absolutely love it!

Lisa :)

P.S. Little Wing that is a cute little girl you have there. I approve of the picture!!

Back
Top Bottom