Texas

I have sold them in the past. At the moment I have two of the four girls separated from the rooster because they were going broody for the second time this season. I already have a bunch of chicks and didn't want more. My Marans are not bred for SOP birds. Instead, I am using them as a dark egg project. I'm just now in the first phase.

I'd love to see how your project goes!!! You should start a diary blog sochicken freaks like me can follow you!!lol

Little wing and sarge, are either of you going to have your bators going for the next couple weeks? My yokie just started laying again and was thinking about collecting them if i could piggy back on a batch of yalls. The yokie roo is the only one covering at the moment so it woild be yokie eggs and yokie rio over that Ee i got from you(ken). Those might be interesting. At my rate of lay it may only be 10 or so eggs. Lemme know!

Btw that pen u made little wing, does that fit in a truck bed?

Little wing and sarge, are either of you going to have your bators going for the next couple weeks? My yokie just started laying again and was thinking about collecting them if i could piggy back on a batch of yalls. The yokie roo is the only one covering at the moment so it woild be yokie eggs and yokie rio over that Ee i got from you(ken). Those might be interesting. At my rate of lay it may only be 10 or so eggs. Lemme know!

Btw that pen u made little wing, does that fit in a truck bed?
I could do that. I just set a few today and that's all I have in there right now. Let me know when you are ready.
ETA - Kinda need to hurry though, I'm looking forward to some down time with the bator to make a few modifications.

That one left here in a Isuzu pickup. Kinda hanging over the edge a bit, well a lot but they did it. It was 5' wide X 8' long X 4'8" high.

Last edited:
I could do that. I just set a few today and that's all I have in there right now. Let me know when you are ready.

That one left here in a Isuzu pickup. Kinda hanging over the edge a bit, well a lot but they did it. It was 5' wide X 8' long X 4'8" high.

I will start gathering tomorrow, so im thinking like tuesday she will be done again gor a week so ill make aome arrangements with you.

I need some input on chicken drink cup what are the best to use and the bad and good for them
Are you looking at types of chicken waterers?

Personally, I prefer chicken nipples. We put chicken nipples in the bottom of 5 gallon buckets and then hang the buckets up so they drink from the bottom. No poopy water and can throw ice in the bucket to keep the water cool in summer.

We are also working on some waterers using chicken nipples in pvc pipe to run multiple watering stations off one bucket of water.

I do have some of the ones from Tractor Supply - the white plastic dome shape with the red trough that goes on the bottom. They are ok, but I find that the chickens like to play in the water and knock it around and then it gets spilled out - making a mess and also can leave the chickens without water to drink on a hot day if I am gone all day and not home to see that they spilled it all out. But, if I need to, I can freeze water in the dome portion, add some water, put on the trough, and they can have cold water in that as the ice melts.

Metal chicken waterers will break down if you use apple cider vinegar in the water like we do, so we don't use any metal watering buckets.

I use an automatic waterer. The silver bowl ones, usually pushed for dogs, or small livestock, etc. The birds also drink from our horses water trough. I keep a dome plastic waterer filled, too, out in the free range areas. And my water hose has a leak, so they have a water puddle.

The problem with the plastic waterers is they poop in the red 'trough' part, and it requires monitoring to be refilled. I strongly recommend an automatic system is you can. I think the bowl ones are like $30-$50 depending on type.

I was planning on the automatic pan waterer. It's a round shallow pan. Figured they could sit in it if they wanted, cool off, and each night I would just dump it over, and clean it, and let it refil. But I had the bowl one laying around.

Back
Top Bottom