Texas

I got my girls to eat eggs two days in a row!!! I made them scrambled (which I normally don't like), yesterday was some lunch meat and cheese, today there wast leftover potatoes and pot roast with sourcream on a tortilla. Oh so very yummy, breakfast tacos, for the win! For me this is huge, because they normally turn up their noses at eggs. Oh and Sunday morning they each ate 2 fried eggs.

Oh oh oh you have isbars??  what color? I saw some yesterday and am so in love! Do you have pics? I looked at your album but didn't see any or maybe I missed them? not sure! SO beautiful!!! 
Blue and black - lets see if I can find pics...

Wow what a chicken morning!! I fed fermented feed for the first time. My chickens went to it and ate it like I'd been feeding it forever. It sure doesn't take long to cook up a batch in our Texas heat.
today was also a butcher day. I've decided nothing helps you determine the health of your chickens like processing some. I skinned some old hens for the pressure cooker and just took breast and legs off of extra EE bantam roosters. The hens were very fat. Might need to adjust some things. Otherwise very healthy. Beautiful feathering and meat. My son accidently rereleased two hens so we will have to process them in the morning. My arms are tired and I haven't made it to the garden yet!!

Wow what a chicken morning!! I fed fermented feed for the first time. My chickens went to it and ate it like I'd been feeding it forever. It sure doesn't take long to cook up a batch in our Texas heat.
today was also a butcher day. I've decided nothing helps you determine the health of your chickens like processing some. I skinned some old hens for the pressure cooker and just took breast and legs off of extra EE bantam roosters. The hens were very fat. Might need to adjust some things. Otherwise very healthy. Beautiful feathering and meat. My son accidently rereleased two hens so we will have to process them in the morning. My arms are tired and I haven't made it to the garden yet!!

Are you pressure canning or just making them nice and tender? Either way Mmmmm.....

D
Do not feed your cock birds feed with calcium over 2%, it affects fertility.

Did you read this somewhere or is it something you have experienced in your flock? I feed all of them laying pellets (not sure of the calcium percentage). I'm not hatching anything or selling hatching eggs, but my eggs all seems fertile when I crack them open..

D
Did you read this somewhere or is it something you have experienced in your flock? I feed all of them laying pellets (not sure of the calcium percentage). I'm not hatching anything or selling hatching eggs, but my eggs all seems fertile when I crack them open..
There are studies published.

So I haven't been on here in FOREVER it seems. I'm like 1000 posts behind. I wanted to let you guys know that 1 out of our 15 hens started laying on Friday! It was more exciting than opening a Christmas present!!! She is still the ONLY 1 laying, but the rest of the girls sure are curious as to what that song she's singing is when she lays that egg. If they come near her while she's laying it's like she cusses them out in "chicken bawk talk". It's sooooo amusing! The first picture is her first egg from Friday. The second picture is her egg on the left from yesterday (same size as Friday's egg) and her egg on the right from today so it's a little bigger.

Back
Top Bottom