Texas

Hi there! I'm right next to you in Nederland. Have you checked Southeasttexas.com? Sometimes they have older hens for sale. i saw a couple of blue oprington hens for sale in Orange I think recently.

I'm looking to get buff orpingtons for my backyard but I think I'm gonna end up with chicks so my son can hand rear them. Not really wild abouthaving to brood them but he feed store orders any breed you want and no minimum orders.

I wouldn't mind knowing anyone local that has orpingtons and would sell older 2 month old chicks
I have a lead on 3 Rhode Island reds for $15 (pullets)....and I have found a lady in the Ft Worth area that I may go see when I make a trip to my moms in a couple weeks.......wish I felt more comfortable in what im doing.....I hate to go buy something and its not what I am wanting......(feeling alittle bit intimidated)

I have a lead on 3 Rhode Island reds for $15 (pullets)....and I have found a lady in the Ft Worth area that I may go see when I make a trip to my moms in a couple weeks.......wish I felt more comfortable in what im doing.....I hate to go buy something and its not what I am wanting......(feeling alittle bit intimidated)

Don't feel bad. I've never raised chickens. I've raised just about every other animal, except chickens so I've been reading extensively and talking to other chicken parents. Believe me, I have a persnickety husband who will not tolerate a smelly/messy backyard, a coop that isn't neat looking or that is in his way when mowing, or a breed that is mean, so I have to choose CAREFULLY. I also have a 4 yr old son, so choosing a breed that is gentle and calm is PARAMOUNT.

So I'm not going to get something I will not like. That's kinda the reason I'm leery of buying older hens because I do not know how they were raised.

My uncle has Rhode Island Reds and keeps them in Woodville. Great egg layers, but kinda pushy and intimidating to the kids.

Just ask around for people's favorite breeds so you can make a more informed decision. Don't feel intimidated... there are a lot of newbies on here.
wink.png

don't be intimidated with me I want you and my chicklets to be happy
frow.gif
Oh I PROMISE you were not on my list of peeps that scared me.................I think you and I are gonna be great friends!!!!!!!!!! I hope to be meetin' ya in the next couple weeks :):)
celebrate.gif

so happy to find Nederland, Woodville, Lumberton folks - I'm in Bridge City. I've been silently cruising the site for awhile. Actually waiting for hubby to pitch in and get me going with my new interest. We bought 15 acres on cow byou, plenty of room and even a building I could have used. No longer usable. Two of the bulls got into a shoving contest right next to the building an knocked a wall in. I am a newbie in the sense I can not seem to get started. I've looked at a zillion coops & runs. Breeds & care taking. Sickness & diseases (that almost made be quite before I began). I am determined if nothing else. It is time for plan B, I do believe. I'm going shopping for a building this weekend. I don't see any reason why one couldn't be used as a coop. Half for the chickens and half for me and storage. Yep it's time to make a move. After all there's just so much sight seeing one can do. Wish me luck,
hubby wont be happy when I have one delivered. LOL

Back
Top Bottom