Texas

Question for all the cooks
old.gif
I'm making meatloaf & mashed potatoes for my 87 yr. old mother for Christmas Day. I have a 5 hour drive & go on Christmas Eve day, should I cook it before I go or can I mix the meatloaf & freeze it raw to cook when I get there?
idunno.gif

Hi
hugs.gif
love.gif

I asked my Sweet Hubby this question as he is a Restaurant Manager with a Food Certification Permit. He suggested since it is a 5 hour trip that you might cook the meatloaf at home and thoroughly chill it then put it in the ice chest to travel and reheat it when you get there or that you prepare it but leave it uncooked and put it in the ice chest with ice then stick it in the oven as soon as you get there
hugs.gif
love.gif
. Either way wouldn't take a lot of cook time and would be safer for your Mom since her age is getting up there
hugs.gif
love.gif
. 4 hours is what they say is the cut off time for keeping food hot and still serving it. With your Mom's age she might be more susceptible to food born illnesses
hugs.gif
love.gif
! Being a cook I would do the later and put it in to bake as soon as you get there. By the time you get all your things out of the car and share huggles and love it should be almost ready and fresh is best
hugs.gif
love.gif

It's Christmas and what would be better on Christmas morning than a homemade cinnamon roll....?

The recipe is from here: http://www.thefrugalfoodiemama.com/2013/12/french-vanilla-chai-cinnamon-rolls.html

I did cut down on the amount of ginger, cloves and nutmeg by half. You can find cardamom at Central Market in bulk for pretty cheap (It's really expensive in those small spice jars at the grocery store). You could also use all cinnamon. I used Duncan Hines brand cake mix.

Here are some that are still in the rising stage:

Here they are baked!

Last edited:
NORTH TEXANS

I have to get rid of Conway,My "suspected" "guilty until proven otherwise" Splash Dutch Bantam Rooster. 10 months old. Sad to see him go but he is 1 of 2 roosters out of a 5 bird flock :/

NORTH TEXANS

I have to get rid of Conway,My "suspected" "guilty until proven otherwise" Splash Dutch Bantam Rooster. 10 months old. Sad to see him go but he is 1 of 2 roosters out of a 5 bird flock :/

How come? He looks so innocent.

Good Morning everyone .... it's Thurs. One more day and I am out of here.

NORTH TEXANS

He is really cute, you should have no trouble getting rid of him.

Speaking from experience, that is too many roosters for only 3 hens, unless they are housed separately. Your ladies will thank you!! :)

Last edited:
The morning temp is finally right where I like it!! 55 and climbing to a wonderful 77 ( although that may be a little warm for dec) but still so much better than this 32 we've been having.

Back
Top Bottom