Texas

For the Texas area, I love my welsummers. Look for hens that have a lot of comb/wattle, as that dissipates heat quickly and usually they are warm weather birds.

Last edited:
Building an a-frame chicken tractor with anticipation of purchasing 3-4 backyard birds. Looking for a breed (mixes are fine) that are good laying dual purpose chickens that are hardy for Texas weather. Urban environment so no roosters & not breeding... just laying.I 'm looking for opinions from actual Texans since my online research gives extremely varied results... Thoughts? P.S. I'm in Central Texas specifically
Have a look through these breeds. All are heat hardy.

Chicks got delivered. Thank goodness hubby was home and heardvthe mailman becausebthey were left on the porch!
All of them are alive as of now, with the exception of 2 of the Mille Fluers...
Sure enough, we found those babies cruahed at the bottom..
1 Mille Fluer left! Its a little fighter! If its not a roo, I told him that one will stay.
theres 2 barred rocks and 1 buff Im worried about. All of the Easter Eggers are great!

Building an a-frame chicken tractor with anticipation of purchasing 3-4 backyard birds. Looking for a breed (mixes are fine) that are good laying dual purpose chickens that are hardy for Texas weather. Urban environment so no roosters & not breeding... just laying.I 'm looking for opinions from actual Texans since my online research gives extremely varied results... Thoughts? P.S. I'm in Central Texas specifically

What else are you looking for in a chicken? Some heat hardy breeds tend to go broody. I've got the same idea as you so I did not want a chicken that goes broody. No time for that!! I've got a white leg horn, black Australorp and 2 americaunas. We will see how they fare in the heat. I've read that giving them a kiddie pool to stand in helps and milk jugs with frozen water.

Chicks got delivered. Thank goodness hubby was home and heardvthe mailman becausebthey were left on the porch!
Sure enough, we found those babies cruahed at the bottom..
1 Mille Fluer left! Its a little fighter! If its not a roo, I told him that one will stay.
theres 2 barred rocks and 1 buff Im worried about. All of the Easter Eggers are great!

I'm so sorry they all didn't make it. I hope the others do ok. Will they replace the ones that died?

hit.gif
Sorry to hear about the Mille Fleurs. It looks like you have the chicks all cozied in now. For the travel fatigued barred rocks and buff, adding electrolytes to the water might help. If you don't have that, try a touch of sugar water. Sometimes that's enough punch to get the them up and running again. I hope they all pull through.

PS...my luck would be that the lone survivor Mille would be a roo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookshire11

Glad they made it. The one made it are the strong tough one... and they live happily ever after

What else are you looking for in a chicken? Some heat hardy breeds tend to go broody. I've got the same idea as you so I did not want a chicken that goes broody. No time for that!! I've got a white leg horn, black Australorp and 2 americaunas. We will see how they fare in the heat. I've read that giving them a kiddie pool to stand in helps and milk jugs with frozen water.
I think the white leghorn would do well, and I to have heard that milk jugs or two liter soda bottles with frozen water help them with cooling. My husband is considering a "mister" for our hens - not sure if that would cause any problems - thoughts?

I'm so sorry they all didn't make it. I hope the others do ok. Will they replace the ones that died?
They would. I'm waiting until tomorrow before I give the official count. Not to be pessimistic.
I would probably just do a credit/partial refund if they let me.
Meyer' customer service has been great so far, but next time I'll order from Ideal, just for the fact that they're closer and deliver overnight to most of Texas.
The USPS did a botch job on this one. I don't know what's up with them. Apparently the chicks were ACTUALLY there at 7:30 this morning..

hit.gif
Sorry to hear about the Mille Fleurs. It looks like you have the chicks all cozied in now. For the travel fatigued barred rocks and buff, adding electrolytes to the water might help. If you don't have that, try a touch of sugar water. Sometimes that's enough punch to get the them up and running again. I hope they all pull through.

PS...my luck would be that the lone survivor Mille would be a roo.
We dipped each and every of their beaks in warm sugar water (some got a couple of drinks), and they got turns in front of the (electric) fireplace. Lol. They're cute lil stinkers. Some are starting to open their eyes too. I've got 1 Easter Egger, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 Buff each that are running the show already. Running around, drinking, eating, etc. I think those are going to be my keepers.
I'm only keeping 5-6, the rest are going to a friend in Midlothian.
It would be my luck the Mille would be a roo as well... They're all strait run so I have NO idea. I guess we'll see.... its a darling little thing.
love.gif
I'll cry if it's a roo...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookshire11

Glad they made it. The one made it are the strong tough one... and they live happily ever after
I hope so!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom