Texas

I'm in Central Texas! Anyone on here close to me?
frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg!!

I hear you. I just took two Ameraucana pullets to the vet--I thought I was going to lose them both. I was planning on showing them March 1, so separated them from the cockerels and pulled broken feathers about a month ago. I had them housed in a vegetable garden. They were most unhappy to be confined. They'd been free ranging over two acres. When my new Cochins arrived, one had a little cough (shipping fever) from being shipped in a not very well ventilated shipping box. She went to the vet and was put on Tylan. A few days after that trip to the vet, we had that wicked cold front come in and I battened down my coops just a little too tightly.... When I opened it up that morning, I could just feel the warm moist air... A couple coughed. Everyone went on Tylan for five days.

One of the Ameraucana pullets had bright yellow urates two days after stopping the Tylan....

Then, the two stupid Ameraucanas decided to eat their hay bedding since they didn't have access to pasture....

I tried a few things to unblock their crops and started them on a prescription of oral Nystatin. I expected them to be improving by today but they just weren't doing well enough so off to the vet. Again.

Fortunately the vet is confident they'll recover and taught me how to tube fluid into their crops. Today I learned a lot about blocked crops and what to do about them. Did you know that spinach helped unblock crops? Who would have known! I thought soft food would be best, but he recommended cracked corn to help break things down and move them along. Right now, they are sitting in small show cages on bare flooring because they tried to eat their bedding--I tried both shavings and hay.

The two pullets who were the picture of health five weeks ago look like h *ll. No shows for them. At this point, I'm just hoping they'll live.
Spinach and cracked corn??? WOW! Thanks for the information. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted on your chicks. I hope you are calling the post office!

[quoovingmyhens" url="/t/44/texas/23340#post_12862602"]
I'm really glad you are feeling better! I hope today was good!
hugs.gif

Thanks. This crud is hanging on. I was warned it would.
I have some exciting news!
I am not suppose to tell anyone yet.
smile.png
so keep the secret.
My son and his wife are expecting in Sept. I can't wait to meet my grandbaby. My son and daughter-in-law are so excited. Had to skip the hugs cause of being sick, but I'll get plenty soon.
I kept the secret for 3 days that's pretty good.[/QUOTE]
yippiechickie.gif
Congratulations Grandma!! That is fantastic news. News like that is bound to make you feel better!

Lisa :)

Coming along great! You'll have it finished in no time.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks. This crud is hanging on. I was warned it would.
I have some exciting news!
I am not suppose to tell anyone yet.
smile.png
so keep the secret.
My son and his wife are expecting in Sept. I can't wait to meet my grandbaby. My son and daughter-in-law are so excited. Had to skip the hugs cause of being sick, but I'll get plenty soon.
I kept the secret for 3 days that's pretty good.

Hope you get all better soon. This crud that is going around tends to really linger. Congrats on your new grandbaby! I keep my 4 yr old granddaughter while my daughter works. She is such a joy! I know you will enjoy yours.

I am in Los Angelos Heights which is north..close to downtown. I got two buff orpingtons and two gold sex links.

Welcome to the Texas thread! Great people here!

I'm getting worried about my little chicks that were shipped Tuesday. The last update was made yesterday morning when they left the sort facility near where they were shipped from. They should have arrived in San Antonio yesterday to be on the truck to my local post office now.

My Cochins were shipped yesterday. The breeder hasn't sent me the tracking number yet, so more worry. Worry, worry, worry--it is something I do really well, lol!
Hope they show up soon and all is well. Post pics if you can. I love looking at everyone's chickens.

Really windy here this morning. Temp is nice, but gusting pretty good.

Seems like we got the basics on our coop finished just in time. Our 15 yr old Blue Heeler came down sick over the weekend. Vet thinks she has an ear infection, but looks a lot like Vestibular Syndrom. So we have her in the coop until she gets better to keep her from running into things and keep the other dogs from her. She's already getting better, so hoping she has a few more years with us.

My chicks arrived! They seemed a little chilled, so I stuck them under the new Brinsea brooder and added a heat lamp for a few minutes to get everything nice and toasty. Once they warmed up, they all had a good drink and ate up the crumbles I sprinkled around. On was even scratching so hard, I thought it would shred the paper towels it was on. I'll post pictures later today.

Hello fellow texans! I wasnt quite sure where I should post my question so if this is the wrong place I apologize in advance. Well I recently bought a coop but I still have yet to get some chickens. I do not want chicks which are readily available all over craigslist and the like, because I have two cats and a puppy who is learning that if its not a toy its not his. So I have been searching for hens who are already laying, to no avail. I would like 2ameraucanas and a jersey giant as well as a rooster ( of either breed ). I am in maypearl (near waxahachie ). So if anyone has any chickens they would like to sell I would be happy to have them or if you know where I could get some I would appreciate that information.

My chicks arrived! They seemed a little chilled, so I stuck them under the new Brinsea brooder and added a heat lamp for a few minutes to get everything nice and toasty. Once they warmed up, they all had a good drink and ate up the crumbles I sprinkled around. On was even scratching so hard, I thought it would shred the paper towels it was on. I'll post pictures later today.

Yay!
ya.gif
So glad they all arrived safely!
Hello fellow texans! I wasnt quite sure where I should post my question so if this is the wrong place I apologize in advance. Well I recently bought a coop but I still have yet to get some chickens. I do not want chicks which are readily available all over craigslist and the like, because I have two cats and a puppy who is learning that if its not a toy its not his. So I have been searching for hens who are already laying, to no avail. I would like 2ameraucanas and a jersey giant as well as a rooster ( of either breed ). I am in maypearl (near waxahachie ). So if anyone has any chickens they would like to sell I would be happy to have them or if you know where I could get some I would appreciate that information.
Welcome! Hope you find what your looking for. I don't have any yet, working on my coop, but hope to get some in a few weeks.

My chicks arrived!  They seemed a little chilled, so I stuck them under the new Brinsea brooder and added a heat lamp for a few minutes to get everything nice and toasty.  Once they warmed up, they all had a good drink and ate up the crumbles I sprinkled around.  On was even scratching so hard, I thought it would shred the paper towels it was on.  I'll post pictures later today.

Yeah!! Looking forward to the pics.

frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg!

Lisa :)

Yay! This is such good news! I'm glad they arrived safe and sound.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom