Texas

Still mother henning my gang...have to do a bed check every night. This is only their third night out of their brooder cage on their own roost. All were sleeping. Had to poke one of the chicks, all sprawled out by the light...looked up as if to say "What? Trying to sleep here!"

I think I am starting to see why @tiedyemommy told me Ebony was a loner. If Howard runs her off from food, she would go out looking for something to eat. This would also explain why, when she sees the food bowl in my hand she comes running to me. Howard, Ivory, and Loudmouth won't come near the food till I back up. I have only had them 6 days, and Ebony is taming much faster than all the other ducks. The only duck nearly as tame is Daisy, her laying companion. They guard each other from the chickens when they need to lay, which is very cute to watch. I just might trade Howard in for a new, young, black duck to keep my Ebony girl company. If I can't find an adult black duck, I'll get some ducklings. Ebony keeps trying to build a nest every time she lays. I can always give her the 6 wooden eggs I have to see if she goes broody, then let her raise some ducklings! Lol

They were wise to hide their aggression/fights from us. I didn't see or suspect any mistreatment while they were with us, but Ebony (formerly Brownie) had always been a duck on the side. She always seemed more disinterested than bullied. Hope Howard (formerly Aflac) shapes up. :(

- TieDyeMommy

Wow that is awful...I'm so sorry...it would have been in many pieces were it me!

AND another one last night...I'll be setting a trap today ;)

They were wise to hide their aggression/fights from us. I didn't see or suspect any mistreatment while they were with us, but Ebony (formerly Brownie) had always been a duck on the side. She always seemed more disinterested than bullied. Hope Howard (formerly Aflac) shapes up. :(

- TieDyeMommy

I'll cool Howard's aggression one way or another. And I am looking into getting Ebony some baby Cayuga ducklings to raise to be her companions. Then al feast she won't be the only black duck living her.

I think I just made a friend. Lol. One of my BO pullets got out of my yard. I didn't think I'd have to re-clip their wings so soon. She led me a merry chase, I finally caught her and carried her back. She didn't want to get off my lap. I got some scratch for the flock and since she was in my lap, held a handful out for her. She ate and then settled down in my lap for a nap. And she just loves ear scratches lol. She is making my leg pretty hot though.

Oh wow, that's scary! Is there anyway to prevent the snakes from getting into the coop? Blocking holes with wood or hardware cloth? Eventually I think a snake that big will kill and eat a hen. Got any barn cats? Mine keep rats and snakes away.
Perhaps this is a dumb question...but I'll ask it anyway!

If we keep the coop open during the day for the chickens to get out...there's no way to ever prevent snakes from entering, right? Or is more that we keep the coop secure and sealed during the night when the snakes are most active?

Back
Top Bottom