Texas

Well DH just finished list for materials...gonna build an irrigation system for my little garden using PVC and soaker hose. And what he needs to get power to the little barn, his new shop and chicken house.
ya.gif
!!!
No more trips by flashlight to do night checks!

DH says lets do it so....Off to Lowe's and feed store...later y'all

Starfire...Yes...I went looking for pics of Cayuga ducks back when we were talking ducks. The drakes are gorgeous! Amazing green feathers! And the hens are pretty too. (That is what you call a female duck?? Right?) I'm eager to see your's when they get big!

I did a search and read wikipedia's info on them...the history of the breed is very interesting...It is an old breed dating back to the 1800s from Cayuga NY area.

I too am excited to see what the hens (a female chicken, duck, and goose are all called a hen) will look like. I have read that the older a hen gets, the more white feathers she will get. That will look stunning I think. Also, someone on a Cayuga duck thread posted a pic of a female Cayuga and she is gorgeous. The drakes get the beautiful iridescent green feathers, but the hens are pretty in their own way as well. With 3 hens and 1 drake, they are going to draw your eye amidst the 4 white geese and 2 white ducks, lol. I cant wait for them to grow up and be beautiful ducks. But will get there in time (I have to keep telling myself that) lol. But next year, ducklings! goslings! chicks!
droolin.gif
wee.gif

Well DH just finished list for materials...gonna build an irrigation system for my little garden using PVC and soaker hose. And what he needs to get power to the little barn, his new shop and chicken house.
ya.gif
!!!
No more trips by flashlight to do night checks!

DH says lets do it so....Off to Lowe's and feed store...later y'all

I want to install a 125 gallon pond. I know its not near big enough for the 8 geese and 7 ducks. But I was hoping to make it part of an aquaponic garden set up. I thought, if they use fish poo to grow plants, why not duck and goose poo? I am still hashing out the details though.

Starfire...Yes...I went looking for pics of Cayuga ducks back when we were talking ducks.  The drakes are gorgeous!  Amazing green feathers!  And the hens are pretty too.  (That is what you call a female duck??  Right?)  I'm eager to see your's when they get big!

I did a search and read wikipedia's info on them...the history of the breed is very interesting...It is an old breed dating back to the 1800s from Cayuga NY area.
that is the ledgend anyway... Not based on fact :) but here is my Cayuga!

The picture at the water was a couple of days ago. The others are about a month old. It's grown since. I will try to get a new one in the sunlight.

Hello Texas poultry people! My family is ready to move, but we have no place to move to. We want to stay in Texas, and we definitely want a place with land. We want more ducks(currently have three), some chickens, guineas, and cattle. Where would be a good area to look? We also want to slowly add goats, sheep, and horses, so we definitely need something with a lot of land. But, we really need something that's fairly cheap at first, just so we can hurry and get out of the house we're in now.

In the meantime, could anyone in Texas give me prices for Welsh Harlequin ducklings? And also where you live.

Where are you at now?

I know Dallas suburbs are pretty fairly priced. A little north of me, Anna and Van Alstyne still have plenty of room, and Anna is pretty cheap. I'm sure Van Alstyne is too. My mother in law lives up there and has a few acres. I know there are other areas all over though too.
I used to live in a few different Houston suburbs but nothing I could recommend with having animals.

Also @LightningTFarm
 might be a good source for info on the Welsh Harlequins.

I live in the DFW area now. I live in a suburb, and all of us are eager to leave the suburbs behind and plop ourselves on a farm. I'll shoot LightningTFarm a message and look at Anna and Van Alstyne and see if there's anything out there. Thank you. :)

that is the ledgend anyway... Not based on fact
smile.png
but here is my Cayuga!

The picture at the water was a couple of days ago. The others are about a month old. It's grown since. I will try to get a new one in the sunlight.

How old is your Cayuga? These are my first ducklings and everyone says they grow fast, but how fast is fast? lol. My geese grew really fast, I was amazed at how quickly they grew and feathered out. Are ducklings even faster growing than geese?

One more picture of our newest addition! Eventually I will get pictures of the pullets I bought to keep it company and the other 7 Easter eggers we brought home this weekend. I just can't get over how attached we are to this chick since it was from our eggs... I'm hoping to get the hang of incubating soon....I need to figure out how high to go with the humidity for lockdown in our climate.

Did you see them placing the chicks in your take home box? I did on mine and I think I will just make the trip to Ideal hatchery next time. I think that is where their chicks come from anyway.

Did you see them placing the chicks in your take home box? I did on mine and I think I will just make the trip to Ideal hatchery next time. I think that is where their chicks come from anyway.
I know the breed I chose came from Ideal. I've ordered from Ideal before. I was just excited to get chicks that weren't on heat...forgetting I had chicks in the incubator that would need heat...that was a duh moment. I did help put them into my take home container and I should have said something... There was another customer there that was extremely ummmm, I'm not sure the best way to put this, high strung? I have 5 kids, we lead a pretty busy life and he was stressing me out...lol Ideal is about 2 hours from where we were visiting and I didn't want to do more driving. I'm not unhappy with our experience with hill country poultry, and I probably could have asked to have a little bit of variety, that was all on me. I've found a lot of people will pay more, at least in our area, for chicks off of heat. I keep buying and growing and selling chicks, and repeating...I need to buy, grow, pick out what I want, keep and be done! lol

I know several other people have American game on here, now what is the youngest you have had them start fighting? Mine are a bit over 8 weeks and they will not separate, at first I thought it was the pecking order but after 7 minutes neither one of them backed off, I separated them for a day, when I let then back in together the next day they launched at each other at first sight. I was planing on this happening for another 2-4 months...not now... Way to young

I know this is from weeks ago but I wasn't receiving BYC email notifications since April 30th until they started magically showing up again today :ya
We had one batch of AG's that were seriously trying to kill each other around 8 weeks old, I had to separate the 3 males, giving 2-3 pullets to each one. That was a real pain taking care of 3 pens of chicks instead of 1. Most of our other AG's we've raised got along pretty well until 7-9 months old.

from Selma to all the new members since the last time I was on here :)

Back
Top Bottom