Texas

My ladies have started laying yet, but their combs are huge now. It can't be much longer before the first batch of eggs starts coming. The thing I find funny is some chicks brought at same time, and are the same breed are miles apart in development.

Anyway, I still have some RIRs and 1 SLW pullets on point of lay for sale. As well as a pair of geese. If anyone is interested.

After doing some research it appears I will be traveling to Houston, Dallas, Conroe, Austin, and a few other places when I finally start showing my Siberian Husky pup Phantom in conformation. If anyone is interested in meeting during one of my trips I'd love to arrange something. I'd obviously be at the shows and I could maybe meet somewhere nearby afterwards, as long as my dog is allowed too.

Phantom and I are still training, he might be ready for his first show in August, but I'm thinking more in September or October so that he is close to a year old and don't look as stretched as he does now. Plus when his adult coat comes in he is going to look really strange for a while, lol. He was born December 2 last year, so we have time to let him fill out. I'm thinking of doing UKC shows first for experience, if he does well, then AKC shows.

Last edited:
OWW! So - my girls are getting into the swing of things and giving me an egg a day from each bird. Today, someone layed this monster: I can't even get the carton to close: I'm not positive who did this. I suspect it's Danerys the Black Sex Link, but I checked everyone for prolapsed vents and didn't see anyone walking funny. :confused: I know this thing can happen from time to time, but should I be on the lookout for any environmental or congenital problems that may be raising their ugly head?
When I get one like that it has always been a double yolker!!!!

OWW!

So - my girls are getting into the swing of things and giving me an egg a day from each bird. Today, someone layed this monster:

I can't even get the carton to close:

I'm not positive who did this. I suspect it's Danerys the Black Sex Link, but I checked everyone for prolapsed vents and didn't see anyone walking funny.
hu.gif

I know this thing can happen from time to time, but should I be on the lookout for any environmental or congenital problems that may be raising their ugly head?

From time to time my ducks lay double-yolked eggs that are HUGE. I can't close their regular eggs into a normal egg carton, and their's no way the double-yolkers will fit. I always go around checking to make sure nobody is bleeding, but they never are! Here's a picture I took to compare egg sizes. The top is a regular large egg, the middle one of my duck eggs, and the bottom a double-yolked duck egg. I put the business card there for size reference.

I posted this in the duck area, but thought maybe here might be a good place also.

A little over a month ago, I acquired a flock of Saxony Ducks, 2 drakes and 5 hens. They are just over 2 years old. At first the 2 drakes were fighting non-stop. When one of them injured his eye, I separated them. When the eye was healed I put everyone back together, no problems with the drakes now.

However, that one drake with the eye injury now goes after one of the hens really bad. He grabs her by the neck and holds her down, but does not even attempt to mate. The whole time she is almost making a screaming noise and he is relentless about her, doing this over and over again. There is a hen that he seems paired with, she is always by his side and they breed. So I can't figure out what his issue is about this other hen and what should I do about it. The back of her neck is covered with sores.

When I lock them up for the evening, I put her in a separate area with another female for company, but I let them free range during the day and that is when this happens.

My ladies have started laying yet, but their combs are huge now. It can't be much longer before the first batch of eggs starts coming. The thing I find funny is some chicks brought at same time, and are the same breed are miles apart in development.

Anyway, I still have some RIRs and 1 SLW pullets on point of lay for sale. As well as a pair of geese. If anyone is interested.

After doing some research it appears I will be traveling to Houston, Dallas, Conroe, Austin, and a few other places when I finally start showing my Siberian Husky pup Phantom in conformation. If anyone is interested in meeting during one of my trips I'd love to arrange something. I'd obviously be at the shows and I could maybe meet somewhere nearby afterwards, as long as my dog is allowed too.

Phantom and I are still training, he might be ready for his first show in August, but I'm thinking more in September or October so that he is close to a year old and don't look as stretched as he does now. Plus when his adult coat comes in he is going to look really strange for a while, lol. He was born December 2 last year, so we have time to let him fill out. I'm thinking of doing UKC shows first for experience, if he does well, then AKC shows.

I'm in katy-west of Houston. Just let me know when you are coming and we can try to meet.
Melanie

I'm in katy-west of Houston. Just let me know when you are coming and we can try to meet.
Melanie

My pups breeder is south of Houston, I visited her last weekend. Yesterday I made a trip to Gainsville to a show breeder, trainer who is mentoring me. So even though I am not showing yet, I am already traveling, both with and without the pup, lol.

Because of my traveling and certain issues we are having, we need to find a new home for our Rottwieler Fiona. She is a spayed dominant female, and we have another dominant female who is not spayed. They have had fights, and poor Fiona gets hit by 2 of sometimes 3 of our other dogs. I have finally convinced my husband he needs more experience handling dogs before taking on a breed like the Rottie. And that with me being gone more and more, I'm the dogs trainer, handler, and the boss, we need to re-home Fiona. He can't even get full respect from my fully trained Belgain mix, much less a dog that came to us with health issues and a huge lack of socialization and training. He is somewhere in the middle, he gets obeyed sometimes and not others, and of coarse the fights happen when I'm not around. He has to play musical dogs to keep the peace. Fiona however loves cats, totally ignores the flock, and gets along great with most dogs, just not dominant females. She has a mother mentality, if it's smaller than her, she wants to love on it, lol. She has 0 human aggression, but she was taught by her previous owners to jump up and give Rottie hugs. We have significantly slowed this behavior down, but she will try it sometimes. She is also not even watch dog material, she hardly ever barks, and then only at strange dogs, never a person. I have asked a couple rescue groups if they can or will help us, but so far no replays. If anyone here knows someone familiar with the breed and can handle their stubbornness, and might want a companion, please let me know. If she gets sent back to the shelter we found her out she will be euthanized, so we are trying to re-home her.

Here are some pictures to show she is not a monster, she is very loving. She just is not compatible with our other female, who was here first. I also reserve the right to deny adoption if I feel someone wants her for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Even with only 5 hens (4 of whom are laying daily), we've found ourselves in over our heads with eggs.
ep.gif
We've been giving extras away, but we can't give 'em away fast enough (I don't normally bake, and we don't eat very many eggs ourselves)...so I decided to sell the rest, and I've already got a couple of buyers. It's amazing how much people will pay for "farm" fresh eggs.
cool.png
Once we get the other 5 pullets (and they start laying eggs) we'll be in the money! Ha-ha! My husband loves this chickens already, but the prospect of making any sort of money for their extra eggs makes the whole deal that much sweeter.
thumbsup.gif

Even with only 5 hens (4 of whom are laying daily), we've found ourselves in over our heads with eggs.
ep.gif
We've been giving extras away, but we can't give 'em away fast enough (I don't normally bake, and we don't eat very many eggs ourselves)...so I decided to sell the rest, and I've already got a couple of buyers. It's amazing how much people will pay for "farm" fresh eggs.
cool.png
Once we get the other 5 pullets (and they start laying eggs) we'll be in the money! Ha-ha! My husband loves this chickens already, but the prospect of making any sort of money for their extra eggs makes the whole deal that much sweeter.
thumbsup.gif
i love getting someone else to buy all the feed and i get to raise the chickens :p

Even with only 5 hens (4 of whom are laying daily), we've found ourselves in over our heads with eggs.  :eek:   We've been giving extras away, but we can't give 'em away fast enough (I don't normally bake, and we don't eat very many eggs ourselves)...so I decided to sell the rest, and I've already got a couple of buyers.  It's amazing how much people will pay for "farm" fresh eggs.  :cool:   Once we get the other 5 pullets (and they start laying eggs) we'll be in the money!  Ha-ha!  My husband loves this chickens already, but the prospect of making any sort of money for their extra eggs makes the whole deal that much sweeter.  :thumbsup

The ducks have slowed down laying because of the heat. Our chickens still haven't started yet, probably because of the heat also. But with 20+ ladies and 2 roosters I willbe overwhelmed with eggs when they do start producing. I plan on getting or making a sign that advertises farm fresh eggs sold here. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom