Texas

Gotta show off for a minute

My last Buff Orp: Ava. She went from bottom of the pecking order, to the top!
Last night she pushed the back door open (I guess I didn't shut it well), let herself in, then chased off the cat and started helping herself to her food.
sickbyc.gif

One of my pretty Russian babies: Katya-5 weeks

Hope everyone is well!

Gotta show off for a minute

My last Buff Orp: Ava. She went from bottom of the pecking order, to the top!
Last night she pushed the back door open (I guess I didn't shut it well), let herself in, then chased off the cat and started helping herself to her food.
sickbyc.gif

One of my pretty Russian babies: Katya-5 weeks

Hope everyone is well!
Such a cute little orp.! Guess she got tired of being at the bottom huh? What kind of breed is the other one?

Have you tried boric acid? We've made little traps before, put bread and boric acid in a mason jar and when they get in there they can't get out. As for spiders, I've never really dealt with them.

We've tried all sorts of stuff. I think the bugs are winning...time for some professional help.
cool.png

Speaking of over-bites/under-bites/etc...One of our Blue Splash Marans/Amauracana mix pullets has a misaligned beak. The top part of her beak and the bottom part of her beak don't meet properly...It doesn't appear to bother her at all, and she eats and drinks fine. She's still fairly young, so I hope it doesn't get worse as she gets older. I'll try to catch a pic of her asap.
tongue.png

Speaking of over-bites/under-bites/etc...One of our Blue Splash Marans/Amauracana mix pullets has a misaligned beak. The top part of her beak and the bottom part of her beak don't meet properly...It doesn't appear to bother her at all, and she eats and drinks fine. She's still fairly young, so I hope it doesn't get worse as she gets older. I'll try to catch a pic of her asap.
tongue.png
I believe she has a scissor beak. There are some threads on it around here somewhere. I have a SF Roo with one. Sometime the chicken has problems eating as they get older. I have heard of people "sanding" or filing them closer to fitting, but I've never tried that. I feed fermented food, so all my roo needs is the bottom shovel and he gets plenty to eat. Good luck with the baby. It can be a tricky problem.

Cool! I'm curious, are they rare breeds? Usually I find just Orpingtons, RIR, and other randomized mix breeds around my neck of the woods.
On the rarer side I think.
I think they're so pretty. It's hard to find breeders though, I wouldn't mind working on developing them eventually.
I ordered her and her sister from Ideal though, which is in Cameron, TX.
smile.png

They're a stockier bird, but with the beard/muffs like an Ameraucana.
What part of Texas are you in?
We have a pretty good variety of breeds up here near Dallas, within an hour/ hour and a half drive.
But I had a hard time finding Salmon Faverolles, Orloffs, and Australorps anywhere close, so I ordered.

I believe she has a scissor beak. There are some threads on it around here somewhere. I have a SF Roo with one. Sometime the chicken has problems eating as they get older. I have heard of people "sanding" or filing them closer to fitting, but I've never tried that. I feed fermented food, so all my roo needs is the bottom shovel and he gets plenty to eat. Good luck with the baby. It can be a tricky problem.
I have a SF pullet w/ scissor beak too. She's 6 weeks tomorrow and doing pretty well. I noticed she's starting to look smaller though.
I'm going to start fermenting her feed soon I think. I'll try a small batch out on her then maybe switch the whole flock over.

How does he do with drinking? And do you notice if he gets food stuck in his lower beak?

Lindsey in Wylie. 4 buff brahamas . salt water fish and one dog
1f600.png
Not too far! Welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom