Texas

Yes, I had read about that and so have been afraid to do it. I have one of those pedipaw things which is useless on my big dogs...might just work for a roo. Got to try something before my ladies suffer more damage...thanks for the input.
If you do just little tiny bits at a time, you an avoid the blood shed. I usually nip off the end and then sort of nip pieces off the sides at the end to make it really blunted. Grab a handful of flour to take with you and you can use it to help stop any bleeding if you get too far, just press the flour into the bleeding spot and then press your finger onto the end of the now-flat ended spur for a few minutes to get the bleeding to stop.

It can be messy if they bleed and you don't get your finger pressed to the end of the spur fast enough, but so far none of ours have been the worse for wear and after you do it once, you have a better idea of how it looks as you trim it and how far you can trim and then you can avoid bleeding altogether. They really just need that end blunted to keep from scraping up the hens' backs.

Ignore the mud and dirt and grime, but look how BIG Lyle has gotten!!! I think if I trim his spurs he might lose a pound, though. LOL
I use a pair of pliers to do mine. Hold the bird upside down under your arm. Take the pliers in you other hand a grip the spur with the pliers at the bottom of the spur next to the leg. Do not gripto tight just enough to hold it. Then twist it will come off the bird will not even make a noise or jump. If it bleeds some just put so Neosporin on it and your done. If you want to watch a video go to YouTube there are a few on there that shows how to do it.

We just did it to a friends rooster the other day. You use a spur saw (sold on-line from Wood Enterprises) , you cut just past the color change. If you do cut it short you can use sidewalk chalk to stop the bleeding.

I grew up with American Game. I have trimmed more spurs than I ever want to see again in my life. I'm not worried about Lyles' spurs so much. When he has trouble walking I'll trim, we have the equipment .

Glory be!!! There's this awesome orb in the sky this morning!!! Haven't seen it in over a week. I think my chickens are dancing!!!
Things are looking up too. We got 9 eggs three days in a row instead of 5 or 6. Way to go ladies!!!
thumbsup.gif
The sun was a pretty sight today wasn't it?! I got 4 eggs yesterday, and 9 today also.

Funniest thing I have seen in a long time and so wish I could have got it on video!!! My big bad rat hunting black cat Sarah got chased across the yard by a 3 pound bantam Aussie mix...neck stretched out wings just a flapping zig zagging after her, until Sarah ran up a tree and Milly the little hen stood under the tree giving the cat the chicken one eyed glare and dared Sarah to come down. It was several minutes until Milly went away and Sarah came down! We laughed til it hurt...but we promised not to tell the other cats LOL!!!

How did everyone come up with their farm/hatchery/business names?
I just realized while I was filling out my application for the APA that I need a "Show name"...

I planned on something in the future but..it kind of blindsided me. I can't use any land features..because we rent and wont actually be breeding here yet
But I guess I need to come up with something sooner rather than later
hmm.png

Our Ranch name has always been Arrow J Ranch. Our cattle brand(when we had cattle) is a J with an arrow below it, thats why we call our place the Arrow J ( both our first names start with a J). It can be as simple as "The (your last name) Farm, etc. Good luck :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom