Texas

We got a reprieve in the afternoon yesterday and finished putting up the hardware cloth on the 16 foot run. Now, it is a matter of putting up the chicken wife on top.

yuckyuck.gif

I know that was a typo, but the image is just hilarious!
lau.gif

Hi all, I'm just a few miles north of Waco. Looks like I'm not going to get my fence up this weekend like I had planned to. Got 90% chance of rain today. Just checked out the radar and looks like another storm is coming from the south west. Man this has got to be the wettest spring I've seen in years!
Hello neighbor! Fellow Wacoan here. Yes, I agree. I don't recall ever seeing this much rain in my lifetime. More to come apparently. So glad I deep litter my chicken run or my girls would be floating by now!

Hello neighbor! Fellow Wacoan here. Yes, I agree. I  don't recall ever seeing this much rain in my lifetime. More to come apparently. So glad I deep litter my chicken run or my girls would be floating by now!

Hey that's great to here. I'm out in Gholson. Was thinking I was the only one from Waco on BYC.

yuckyuck.gif

I know that was a typo, but the image is just hilarious!
lau.gif
Yes, supposed to be Chicken Wire. I guess it was a slip, because my wife works with me outside on the coop with me. I cut and stretch, she staples. We get out the bailing wire and stitch the pieces together. She is tired of my project, She was raised in rural Minnesota on 20 acres that my In-laws never did anything with. My father-in-law has passed some two years ago, and my mother-in-law is in assisted living tore up by diabetes. (And yes, I offered to let her live with us here in Texas, but she refused). So, my wife was never around any famers or ranchers. Both my parents came from farms/ranches. I do get to hear that my mother-in-law can't stand chickens. Come to think of it, never can my dad. He used to run around barefoot as a kid, and they didn't have nesting boxes. So, when Grandma would send him to the hen house with years of caked on bird crap on an Easter Egg hunt when she needed some eggs, he didn't have fond memories. That and being spurred by an ornery rooster.

My mother on the hand raised chickens. I remember being on my Grandfather's old school dairy ranch, and orchard and he always had a hen house. In fact, he built one when I was visiting in first grade a lifetime ago (he has long since passed). But, I remember going with him to other ranchers and buying hens, and going to the feed store to buy ducks.

So, all that history for a Freudian slip.
big_smile.png

Does anyone nearby know how to trim goat feet? I know basics but I have never lived in a wet area. I am worried about my pygmy goats feet. They look a little off but I don't know what is normal for his little feet. I'm sure I could take him to the vet but they are going to charge me the 75 dollar visit fee and I just don't have it right now. (we just had to have our electric repaired and are almost done paying that bill off) I don't want to take him to the vet and pay that fee if there is nothing wrong. But I don't know for sure if something is wrong. I can't smell anything but his feet don't look like the big goats I used to raise. They never have looked like big goat feet.

I've tried searching online but that's just a disaster. I can't seem to find any of healthy pygmy goat feet. Maybe I am looking wrong.

Does anyone nearby know how to trim goat feet? I know basics but I have never lived in a wet area. I am worried about my pygmy goats feet. They look a little off but I don't know what is normal for his little feet. I'm sure I could take him to the vet but they are going to charge me the 75 dollar visit fee and I just don't have it right now. (we just had to have our electric repaired and are almost done paying that bill off) I don't want to take him to the vet and pay that fee if there is nothing wrong. But I don't know for sure if something is wrong. I can't smell anything but his feet don't look like the big goats I used to raise. They never have looked like big goat feet.

I've tried searching online but that's just a disaster. I can't seem to find any of healthy pygmy goat feet. Maybe I am looking wrong.
A horse ferrier should be able to do it. However, they may charge about as much. I know there are some youtube videos on the Subject of clipping goat hooves. They would need to be restrained, because *** little as they are, they can still jump and kick.

Everyone ok? That was a bad line of storms that went through yesterday/last night. We just got a light show and a TON of rain. My office downtown send out the word that we're closed today because of the flooding. No tornadoes, though, thank goodness.

Does anyone nearby know how to trim goat feet?  I know basics but I have never lived in a wet area.  I am worried about my pygmy goats feet.  They look a little off but I don't know what is normal for his little feet.  I'm sure I could take him to the vet but they are going to charge me the 75 dollar visit fee and I just don't have it right now. (we just had to have our electric repaired and are almost done paying that bill off)  I don't want to take him to the vet and pay that fee if there is nothing wrong.  But I don't know for sure if something is wrong.  I can't smell anything but his feet don't look like the big goats I used to raise.  They never have looked like big goat feet. 

I've tried searching online but that's just a disaster.  I can't seem to find any of healthy pygmy goat feet.  Maybe I am looking wrong.

Just about all goat hoofs are done the same way. I don't try to over do it if it's the first time. Just get them as even as you can without any voids to trap dirt in. I get my shears at TCS for about 10 bucks I'm thinking. Had them for over 2 years now. You'll see a pic of them in the link below. Just keep him busy with some feed and trimming should go pretty event free. Just remember, your cutting to much off if the bottom starts getting white looking. Good luck.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/trimminghooves.html

Everyone ok? That was a bad line of storms that went through yesterday/last night. We just got a light show and a TON of rain. My office downtown send out the word that we're closed today because of the flooding. No tornadoes, though, thank goodness.
The birds are all alive. Limbs are down. The basketball hoop took a nose dive.

Back
Top Bottom