Texas

Found my first egg from my pullets today. Tiny, almost white egg. Guessing it was one of the Cubalaya girls with it being so small (smaller than the guinea eggs I've been finding). I've been finding a duck egg each day for the past 5 days. Now I need to find some good old fashioned cake and pastry recipes to use those in.

Found my first egg from my pullets today. Tiny, almost white egg. Guessing it was one of the Cubalaya girls with it being so small (smaller than the guinea eggs I've been finding). I've been finding a duck egg each day for the past 5 days. Now I need to find some good old fashioned cake and pastry recipes to use those in.

We use our duck eggs to make wonderful fluffy omelets.
thumbsup.gif

We use our duck eggs to make wonderful fluffy omelets.
thumbsup.gif
I have heard that. Once I get a game bird license to own ducks (here in Texas you need one for water fowl, quail), I want to get some Cayuga Ducks. The concept of black/grey eggs is fascinating. Part of the reason I am fascinated by Black Copper Marans because of their chocolate dark eggs.

Sorry to hear about your loss, friend!

In my experience once an egg eater always an egg eater . some have broken them, though.
Thanks. We haven't had any incidents all week. But, we have been monitoring them closely. My cconly chicken plucker should be in today (late father's day present), and if I see a repeat, my suspected hens will be joining the PBR rooster in there. I want to move over the other hens and the other young EE Roo in Lucky's pen. I am hoping the new pecking order commotion will keep Lucky from killing him. That and the extra four girls. The only thing stopping me, is to make sure there is no more egg eating so they won't teach the two Buff Orpingtion and PBR hens to do it. I know he can't stand his PBR son. He mated the little PBR hen that he favors in his pen, and broody hen hatched him. You can't tell he has any EE in him other than an occasional sheen of green that appears at the right angle of light on his tail feathers. Other than that he is all PBR with the personality to match.

Lucky likes to go over to his pen when he is free ranging to tell his son off.
old.gif

I have heard that. Once I get a game bird license to own ducks (here in Texas you need one for water fowl, quail), I want to get some Cayuga Ducks. The concept of black/grey eggs is fascinating. Part of the reason I am fascinated by Black Copper Marans because of their chocolate dark eggs.
Can you provide some sort of link or citation about needing a game bird license to own ducks in Texas? I don't have one and have many ducks including Cayugas. Are you sure it is not a game bird license to "hunt" ducks as opposed to owning them?

Here is a picture of the first even dozen Cayuga eggs mine laid earlier this year. Love my Cayugas.

I had to provide the egg carton.

Can you provide some sort of link or citation about needing a game bird license to own ducks in Texas? I don't have one and have many ducks including Cayugas. Are you sure it is not a game bird license to "hunt" ducks as opposed to owning them?

Here is a picture of the first even dozen Cayuga eggs mine laid earlier this year. Love my Cayugas.

I had to provide the egg carton.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/protected/

I was just as surprised when I found out. It seems silly to need a permit to own ducks.

Last edited:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/rehab/protected/

I was just as surprised when I found out. It seems silly to need a permit to own ducks.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am having trouble connecting to the TPWD site, keeps saying server not found, so they may be offline right now. However, just based on the link (URL) which is for "huntwild/wild..." I am guessing it has something more to do with people that raise ducks, quail, etc for release to hunt and not for simple duck ownership. I will keep trying to connect and post what I find. Also I will call TPWD and try to find out something that way. If a permit is required to own ducks in Texas there are only several thousand people that are going to be in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom