Texas

image.jpg
I live right outside Helotes/San Antonio area in the country and this is my first time owning chickens. I only have 5 hens and a rooster and they are 11 weeks old. I have mixed breed: 2 gold sexlinks (Crispy & Nugget), 3 bantam Cochins (Ruffles, Lay's, & Scoops), and a black star (or so I was told) named Calypso.

My question is what all can I do to help them survive the heat?!

I went out to see them today and it's 93° & 100% and my poor babies are panting, moving slow, quieter than usual. When they do make noise they sound kinda odd. So I've put electrolytes in their water, gave them a bunch of watermelon that they devoured, I put a few shallow trays with about an inch of water in them and held each one in it so they could be introduced to it. I gave them ice cubes with treats in them, and put ice in their water. I checked on them a bit later and there was no change so I put their feet in water again since they won't go in on their own and tried putting some water on their necks. I also put a hard ice pack thing out cuz I read they could lay by it or stand on it but they won't! It's so frustrating. I was petting them with the ice pack and they seemed to like that. Anyways it's not even June yet and I'm worried. Any ideas!? I have like 5 bottles freezing to put out tomorrow. It's 7pm now so I'm hoping they'll cool off as the temperature does...

Hi Scoopsmom, I live in the DFW area & have raised chickens in Texas for years. Our heat index was 105 degrees today at my house. My girls are around the same age as yours & were also panting & less active. This morning, I watered the grass & bushes where the girls like to hang out & dust bath. After scratching around a bit, there was a lot of laying out in the cool soil with legs stretched out like playboy models. I don't have a misting water system, but I do have a waterhose that has a split in it & sprays up in the air making a mist that the wind blew over toward the chicks but not so much that they protest. I emptied their water & replaced it with fresh cool water every few hours & if they moved spots, I moved the water over to them. Like you, I also gave them cold watermelon. On Pinterest, I recently saw some chicken treats for summer you make in an ice block. I haven't tried them yet, but looks like a good idea. When they went into the coop this evening, it was still really hot. I'm glad my coop is well ventilated!

I live right outside Helotes/San Antonio area in the country and this is my first time owning chickens. I only have 5 hens and a rooster and they are 11 weeks old. I have mixed breed: 2 gold sexlinks (Crispy & Nugget), 3 bantam Cochins (Ruffles, Lay's, & Scoops), and a black star (or so I was told) named Calypso.

I went out to see them today and it's 93° & 100% and my poor babies are panting, moving slow, quieter than usual. When they do make noise they sound kinda odd. So I've put electrolytes in their water, gave them a bunch of watermelon that they devoured, I put a few shallow trays with about an inch of water in them and held each one in it so they could be introduced to it. I gave them ice cubes with treats in them, and put ice in their water. I checked on them a bit later and there was no change so I put their feet in water again since they won't go in on their own and tried putting some water on their necks. I also put a hard ice pack thing out cuz I read they could lay by it or stand on it but they won't! It's so frustrating. I was petting them with the ice pack and they seemed to like that. Anyways it's not even June yet and I'm worried. Any ideas!? I have like 5 bottles freezing to put out tomorrow. It's 7pm now so I'm hoping they'll cool off as the temperature does...

Hi scoopsmom,
I just got inside from tending to my chickies in this 95 degree super humid weather...all were panting and moving slowly. I didn't do much with them except pull up some fresh cool soil and refill their waterers. I also made sure there was plenty of shade, ventilation, and room to fluff up the dirt. That seemed to help a lot and they calmed down a bit. Yummy watermelon doesn't hurt either!! :) Hope this helps!

-Norchel

Hi all Im a fairly new Texan my hubby are recent transplants to Leander! Also a fairly new chicken owner. My flock is all about 8 weeks old lol. Anyone want a silver sebright rooster. I somehow ended up w 4 out of 5 being roos!

does...

We are having the same weather here in East Texas. Right now I have a shop fan attached to a loooonnnngggg extension cord blowing outside their covered run. They seem to like that quite a bit. I read in an article that using a misting system can also help. I also read about frozen treats and water bottles to help cool them off. I plan on going over to the Hens for Houston thread and seeing what other advice they have, too. Good luck!

hey everyone! its hard to navigate this texas thread....there are so many of us! LOL

Anyway, I'm new to chickens and almost have my coops ready to go. I am going to be looking for about 18 adult hens and I know I want a mix of breeds.
Anyone who may have some or all of what I'm looking for in here and willing to sell, please talk with me!

this is how I am hoping to structure my flock:

2 Silkies
4 Leghorns
2 Road Island Reds
2 Polish
2 Cuckoo Marans
2 Plymouth Rock
4 Ameraucana

this could all go out the window when I start buying but this is what I have on my mind. LOL At this time, I do not plan to add a roo.

I would love to meet and talk to some folks who have these birds, and even more specifically, have them for sale. :) I am in Collin County, around the DFW area.

Thanks,
Steve ;-)

hey everyone! its hard to navigate this texas thread....there are so many of us! LOL

Anyway, I'm new to chickens and almost have my coops ready to go. I am going to be looking for about 18 adult hens and I know I want a mix of breeds.
Anyone who may have some or all of what I'm looking for in here and willing to sell, please talk with me!

this is how I am hoping to structure my flock:

2 Silkies
4 Leghorns
2 Road Island Reds
2 Polish
2 Cuckoo Marans
2 Plymouth Rock
4 Ameraucana

this could all go out the window when I start buying but this is what I have on my mind. LOL At this time, I do not plan to add a roo.

I would love to meet and talk to some folks who have these birds, and even more specifically, have them for sale. :) I am in Collin County, around the DFW area.

Thanks,
Steve ;-)
Ideal Poultry carries most of those breeds.
Welcome!

I know, it's awful to watch them suffer! The only other thing I've been doing besides all you've mentioned is I turn our sprinklers that are around our coop on for about 10 minutes every afternoon around 4 or 5 p.m. That, and the ice, and a huge sail shade I put up seem to help.

Back
Top Bottom