Texas

Hey y'all - I posted here a year ago, when I heard chickens were legal in our town. We're in Saginaw, TX, just north of Fort Worth. I've been reading and researching and such and my daughter's been getting more excited (she wants to be a vet tech and is an animal whisperer) - and we're finally doing it. We have the brooder box about 2/3rd set up, our 3 special order chicks show up at the Russell feed and supply the week after Easter, and Saturday we're going up to Little Coop on the Prairie to look at the coops and arrange them to build us one. Coming back to this thread, and wow, so many of you have such big flocks and so many other animals! We're only allowed the 3 hens :( We have 3 indoor cats, two teen kids, and three of us adults. Getting excited, and looking forward to meeting and taming chicks.
Looking forward to hear more about you plunge into chickeneering adventures! Keep us updated on your progress, and naturally welcome back to our Texas Thread!

Good luck with your chicks! Just a small group of chickens here. 5 to be exact. Had larger in past. Know Saginaw well. Been there many times. Have relatives that live near there and a cousin that teaches there. When I lived in Fort Worth it was just a wide spot in road. Used to fish and watch boat races on Marine Creek Lake.
Isn't if funny how us Texans have pretty much visited or know where every city is? Yeah I have driven through, but never stopped at any corner country store in Saginaw. Was just too podunk for me to do so. Back in the late 90's-2002.

Hey y'all - I posted here a year ago, when I heard chickens were legal in our town. We're in Saginaw, TX, just north of Fort Worth. I've been reading and researching and such and my daughter's been getting more excited (she wants to be a vet tech and is an animal whisperer) - and we're finally doing it. We have the brooder box about 2/3rd set up, our 3 special order chicks show up at the Russell feed and supply the week after Easter, and Saturday we're going up to Little Coop on the Prairie to look at the coops and arrange them to build us one. Coming back to this thread, and wow, so many of you have such big flocks and so many other animals! We're only allowed the 3 hens :( We have 3 indoor cats, two teen kids, and three of us adults. Getting excited, and looking forward to meeting and taming chicks.
That's so awesome that you're doing this with your daughter! When I was a kid in coastal southern California I found out we could have two, and man did I love my two! They were Cleo the Rhode island red and Figuero the Barred Rock. They were just the sweetest things, and they gave us two eggs a day. A stray dog busted into their coop when they were 6 months old but the experience and resulting heartache stayed with me all the way to now. It's part of the reason I left that crazy place (it wasn't always like that really) was so I could give my kids more of all that good stuff!
You guys should look into your local ffa chapter if you don't mind having one pet and one food source. She would be able to raise a bird to be graded and then taken to market, and learn what a gift the species is to us and the value of all the work that goes into getting food on your plate. Now that's an education!!
At any rate welcome! And don't be shy with your questions this website is A WEALTH of answers with lots of members happy to chime in.

Candled my silkie eggs at day 7 17/18 embryos look viable and one was clear(to my eye. I'll wait until day 14 to see if my clear was really just operator error vs a true clear. Counting down the days with oodles of impatience/excitement since this is going to be my first time with a bator, actually i had a broodie sit on a clutch of infertile eggs.

Last edited:
Candled my silkie eggs at day 7 17/18 embryos look viable and one was clear(to my eye. I'll wait until day 14 to see if my clear was really just operator error vs a true clear. Counting down the days with oodles of impatience/excitement since this is going to be my first time with a bator, actually i had a broodie sit on a clutch of infertile eggs.
Good luck!
Come on silkie eggs. :fl

Isn't if funny how us Texans have pretty much visited or know where every city is? Yeah I have driven through, but never stopped at any corner country store in Saginaw. Was just too podunk for me to do so. Back in the late 90's-2002.
You think it was 'podunk' in the 90's, in the 70's when in middle school and high school, we had scrimmages with Saginaw, they didn't even have a restaurant or fast food place, we had to wait to eat after the game, until we got back to Denton! :lau

You think it was 'podunk' in the 90's, in the 70's when in middle school and high school, we had scrimmages with Saginaw, they didn't even have a restaurant or fast food place, we had to wait to eat after the game, until we got back to Denton! :lau
Yep I remember when McKinney was just the County Courthouse city and farmland, and a town square.
It seemed silly to me growing up in Plano, TX.(mid 70's:thumbsup)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom