Texas

Well, we've got fast food now ...

Second biggest annoyance with Saginaw is everytime I google anything here I have to remember to add the TX or I get information about the town in Michigan it's named after.

Biggest annoyance is the trains. I do audiobook narration and recording is a PITA.
Do you have any of these readings on YouTube?

If they're on Youtube, it's because someone pirated them, so I really hope not. We're on Audible and Amazon. I narrated the hard SF trilogy my husband wrote - Torchship by Karl K. Gallagher (followed by Torchship Pilot and Torchship Captain), I did a great historical fiction book that I turned in three years ago this month and the little publishing company STILL hasn't gotten it released, and I'm working on a fantasy duology right now.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DKVIHTQ/?tag=backy-20

We got our permit form filled out today! We will have to have the coop inspected when we get it.
Oh the joy of living in podunkville, TX, you needed a permit and inspection? That is a foreign concept here in Texico. Heck people even let their unvaccinated tagless collarless dogs roam the streets in Violation of TX laws. Texico is a whole other Texas.

Us north Texans can't even communicate with the locals(often enough), who are fluent english speakers as they don't even know what a Mexicoke is. I have to spanglish it up and say"coca ala Mexico". The Mexicoke's still use pure cane sugar vs corn syrup. I get those in the 2.5 liter bottles for just under $3 at my tacoria 1/2 mile away. No pizza delivery here even though we are only 5 miles away from chains that do deliver. No idea how that can be.

Regardless, congratulations on your permit!:celebrate I know how you feel, i have all but 2 4x4x10' to resite, and then I'll be ready to get my hurricane straps and 2x4 and 4x4 framing done. Next month I'll have it all done once bills are paid, wifey and I have given up booze, beer, and wine to get this project completed on time so we can get those Silkies out of the bathtub in a timely fashion. We are currently doing the 90+f high's and 68+f lows no reason for them to be indoors for long. That cold front coming through this weekend only applies up north here it is expected to be a non rain event and bring us down to 80f for a day(high temp) with clear sky.

Last edited:
We got our permit form filled out today! We will have to have the coop inspected when we get it.
I would recommend you be aware that if a bought coop says 12 hens can be supported, then you might want to divide that in to a realistic number and divide by 4. Or build a large secure run for them. Just to drive the point home my lumber and cement costs and a hired hand so far are about $400 dollars. I am anticipating another $300 to go to finish it out with 4x8x1/2 plywood(not particle board). I also have so many 2x4's to reclaim/frame/restain from a failed fence. The prior owner thought you could support an 8 foot tall 150ft long wooden fence without using proper 4x4's for support(sure strap it to a 6 foot tall chain link fence, it will work :barnie). So glad I found out in a severe windstorm she was a cheap moron as the owner prior to her occupation knew how to build out the house right and not be cheap. Cat3's aint gunna run me and mine away. I am going to end up with an 8x10 coop, ceiling height will be 10ft at its high point, and 7.5ft at its lowest(post holes are all 2-2.5ft deep). So nevermore will I hit my head on the coop.

Note to self:

go into attic and see if she bothered to hurricane strap anything on the addition to the house.

Last edited:
The city ordinance says that it must be at least 32 sq ft. I'm going up this weekend to the Little Coop on the Prairie people in Rhome to look at one they're building for someone else, and talk options - it looks likely that I will have them build a coop and run in one for us. I have been convinced by the various coop threads to a) avoid the prefabs and b) make sure I get it done right the first time. I'm semi-handicapped, my daughter's in high school, and the other two adults in the family - one works full time, the other works full time AND is a part-time writer, so 'build it ourselves' is not the way to go. I'm going to talk to the coop people about possibly going bigger than the 32 sqft, given that bill in the house/senate that might enable me to have a future flock of 6 instead of 3.
https://lccotp.wixsite.com/coops

The city ordinance says that it must be at least 32 sq ft. I'm going up this weekend to the Little Coop on the Prairie people in Rhome to look at one they're building for someone else, and talk options - it looks likely that I will have them build a coop and run in one for us. I have been convinced by the various coop threads to a) avoid the prefabs and b) make sure I get it done right the first time. I'm semi-handicapped, my daughter's in high school, and the other two adults in the family - one works full time, the other works full time AND is a part-time writer, so 'build it ourselves' is not the way to go. I'm going to talk to the coop people about possibly going bigger than the 32 sqft, given that bill in the house/senate that might enable me to have a future flock of 6 instead of 3.
https://lccotp.wixsite.com/coops
I had a Rhome address for around 4 years in unincorperated Wise county, how cool is that? BTW once you cross that county line passing Rhome, you are in Tarrant county and civilization again you can buy spirits!:wee:wee:wee:clap Regarding your semi-handy capped status, I'm full on mentally handy-capped but having gone to and lived in warzones certainly keeps the lights on now. Just I always make lists and write things down so I don't forget them and I sleep horribly. Physically I'm pretty OK but it is so easy for me to get distracted otherwise. Ball!...:lau
weather.jpg

Last edited:
If they're on Youtube, it's because someone pirated them, so I really hope not. We're on Audible and Amazon. I narrated the hard SF trilogy my husband wrote - Torchship by Karl K. Gallagher (followed by Torchship Pilot and Torchship Captain), I did a great historical fiction book that I turned in three years ago this month and the little publishing company STILL hasn't gotten it released, and I'm working on a fantasy duology right now.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DKVIHTQ/?tag=backy-20
Awesome thank you! I'll check it out.

Back
Top Bottom