Texas

Hey Texans - what bedding do you use in your coops?
I just use hay, a bale gives me plenty of coverage on the wood floor for just 3-5 dollars. The new 8x10 I am in the process of building I am going floorless expecting their droppings to self compost(experimental for me) so might not use any bedding, except for hay in the egg boxes with a raised wooden floor in those.

Hey Texans - what bedding do you use in your coops?
Deep litter. Dirt, grass clippings, hay, leaves, dirt and more dirt, wood chips....a little of everything except shavings. I hate them.
I prefer free stuff from around the yard.

I just use hay, a bale gives me plenty of coverage on the wood floor for just 3-5 dollars. The new 8x10 I am in the process of building I am going floorless expecting their droppings to self compost(experimental for me) so might not use any bedding, except for hay in the egg boxes with a raised wooden floor in those.

I did a dirt floor in my 8x10. I covered it in hardwire to prevent any rats and such from doing in. I have about 4 TSC bales over that too soften the landing when the fatties jump down from the roosts and to dry out the poop. I think I'm going to add some leaves. The run composts well but the coop doesn't so I may need to water it occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom