Texas

Okay so now I have a question... lived down here now just over 19 years. This is the first time turning on the heat has ever set off any smoke detector. Why the heck did that happen this year? Lmao Did raising chicks inside (twice) for 8 weeks contribute to today's shenanigans with the smoke detector? LoL
It's actually a simple answer I learned a few decades back. It truly is dust build up. The math is rather simple and unforgiving. Size and Merv rating of the filter plus how often you change it times how often you inspect/clean the air handler of the HVAC system equals the likely hood of the coils having to burn off that build up dust.

This spring I had to de-ice and spray clean the AC condenser coils of the air handler, while at it I removed the fan and took it to the driveway and wirebrushed every blade of that squirrel cage assembly and the entire inside ducting of the fan itself. Then I Lysol wipes the entire inside surfaces of the air handler as mold has started to show up in small spots....

It's very easy and the youtube demo's by the actual repair companies are nearly all 100% accurate and true. There is a little bit of poe-tahy-tow vs. puh-tay-toe if you get the drift.

What a beautiful dog!! Shepherd I presume? I've had 2 in my life, and will probably have 1 more sometime soon. They are awesome dogs!!
Close these are a smaller more active breed than a shepherd, but still a shepherding dog. He is a Belgian Malinois. They are popular and active critters with police and military known for their intelligence, problem solving and parkour ninja skills(youtube) . I just wanted him off the dang chain 24x7 so bought him for $100 off the neighbors who were passing him back and forth and finding this dog unmanageable. He is now a needy house dog that DW and I tag team frisbee with about 10x daily. His other favorite game is of course bite tug shake and pull. He is about 2.5 years old now and still learning social skills and commands. Severe separation anxiety issues with the guy which is probably from his earlier life on the chain gang.

And here we goooooo........
PSX_20201026_212103.jpg
It's still too warm for sleet.....
But,....
PSX_20201026_212454.jpg

Just put the horses up, in the cold rain.... at least now they will be warm & dry for the night too. I also had to move my injured roo Goldy from the sick bay coop to the main coop, he was shivering in the nest box and pleaded with me for help the minute he saw me. Poor guy! He will be okay in the dark with those mean girls, but I will have to get up very early and figure out what to do. Anyone have a house rooster?? Hahahaa Guess it needs some improvements made tomorrow asap! This pic shows a temp of 39, but I'm swearing its way colder than that here. I can't feel my hands (yes I wore cheap gloves) or nose. Lmao had to be the wind chill and struggling with the door, that hasn't been closed in months. Stay warm tonight yall!! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-220950_Weather.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-220950_Weather.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 1
Just put the horses up, in the cold rain.... at least now they will be warm & dry for the night too. I also had to move my injured roo Goldy from the sick bay coop to the main coop, he was shivering in the nest box and pleaded with me for help the minute he saw me. Poor guy! He will be okay in the dark with those mean girls, but I will have to get up very early and figure out what to do. Anyone have a house rooster?? Hahahaa Guess it needs some improvements made tomorrow asap! This pic shows a temp of 39, but I'm swearing its way colder than that here. I can't feel my hands (yes I wore cheap gloves) or nose. Lmao had to be the wind chill and struggling with the door, that hasn't been closed in months. Stay warm tonight yall!! :)
1st) humidity is a key part of why & how cold can go straight to the bone.... It such a the heat right outta ya so fast as the moisture is a much faster conducting material compared to air.

2) dog crate inside is what we used from day one too month 3 while I built the coop.... Look at our build thread to see the dog crates with folded cardboard around the base to keep *most* of the shavings inside the crate.

1st) humidity is a key part of why & how cold can go straight to the bone.... It such a the heat right outta ya so fast as the moisture is a much faster conducting material compared to air.

2) dog crate inside is what we used from day one too month 3 while I built the coop.... Look at our build thread to see the dog crates with folded cardboard around the base to keep *most* of the shavings inside the crate.
Goldy is now back inside with us, those little snotty pullets already bloodied him again!! Wth?? I am so glad I went to make sure he "would be ok" with them overnight. IN THE DARK?!?! I am just dumbfounded and so over it, I am wiped. I will show yall his indoor facility we slapped together tomorrow. He's cleaned back up again, and fast asleep. Guess I have a house Rooster until we fix/winterize that sick bay coop outside. Honestly, I must be losing my mind. He is such a sweet boy, but they apparently hate him, but he is so good to them. Just, why?!?!

I remember Oct-Nov's like that....it's why I moved South! :D
I moved south because DW made me. I have stayed for the Cost of Living, nature, Mexicoke, empty beaches where I can run the dogs, no fracking, and to learn a new Texas culture. My plot of land alone would probably have cost 4-10x what it did in AUS, HOU, DFW, SAT. I have to edit that as land by itself is different than improved land with services like water/electric/sewer and a domicile. Besides I have now learned to forage vs go to COSTCO around the corner, we do have a COSTCO that is a close enough drive. Even though in Austin it was 5 miles away vs. 35 the drive time is about the same.

Oh yeah I don't have to deal with the city or HOA, both big plus points. Chicken in a HOA(laughable idea). No need for permits when I get a bug to build a new structure either just common sense because of Hurricanes. Plus I can always get a house call from a plumber/electrician or handyman after normal business hours and pay 50 vs 200 for a needed repair.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom