Texas

Howdy Texans!! I'm new here on byc and have been in Texas for about a year and a half. My husband and I are down from Alaska. We are in Glen Rose. We have about 50 in our flock including 4 Midget White Turkeys, Leghorns, Easter Eggers, Black Australorpes, RIR, Speckled sussex, BCM and 3 generations of their hatchlings. In fact, I just got 3 new blue eggs from my 17 week old hens 💥 Perhaps breeding easter eggers and leghorn roo made the "super blue layer"? Very exciting!!
I just wanted to reach out to my neighbors and ask...now that I have all of these birds..other than eggs, can I sell the chicks or eggs at a farmer's market or what is a good way to make a small income from my flock?
Welcome to Texas. Did you bring Alaska with you when 🤔 you came? Just teasing.
As far as se)ing eggs and birds. I dont know the legals but, I know alot of people that sell their eggs, babies, hens and roosters.
Good luck and welcome!

Welcome to Texas. Did you bring Alaska with you when 🤔 you came? Just teasing.
As far as se)ing eggs and birds. I dont know the legals but, I know alot of people that sell their eggs, babies, hens and roosters.
Good luck and welcome!
Thank you and yes! My husband and I keep saying "apparently Alaska misses us too and came to visit" 😉
I was shocked at how cold it got 😲 In northern terms "it wasn't even THAT COLD" but I was so sad for those caught unprepared. 😔

Other than craigslist, are farmers markets appropriate for that or? And, originally I wanted to grow them for meat and eggs BUT I AM ATTATCHED 😂 I did sell some roosters on Craigslist but I'm just not sure what people are looking for? Fertilized eggs or non? Chicks? Pullets?
Thank you for the kind welcome

Howdy Texans!! I'm new here on byc and have been in Texas for about a year and a half. My husband and I are down from Alaska. We are in Glen Rose. We have about 50 in our flock including 4 Midget White Turkeys, Leghorns, Easter Eggers, Black Australorpes, RIR, Speckled sussex, BCM and 3 generations of their hatchlings. In fact, I just got 3 new blue eggs from my 17 week old hens 💥 Perhaps breeding easter eggers and leghorn roo made the "super blue layer"? Very exciting!!
I just wanted to reach out to my neighbors and ask...now that I have all of these birds..other than eggs, can I sell the chicks or eggs at a farmer's market or what is a good way to make a small income from my flock?
Welcome to the Tejas chat thread.
1) we do have a "marketplace" here in this forum
2) several I have read from do use FB-land & Craigslist to cyclical & vwrying degrees of success.

Read up, due diligence & patience will help you most of all.

Welcome to the Tejas chat thread.
1) we do have a "marketplace" here in this forum
2) several I have read from do use FB-land & Craigslist to cyclical & vwrying degrees of success.

Read up, due diligence & patience will help you most of all.
Thank you. It's all just so exciting. Colored eggs, plumage..i Never knew Fowl were So Amazing 💜

Thank you and yes! My husband and I keep saying "apparently Alaska misses us too and came to visit" 😉
I was shocked at how cold it got 😲 In northern terms "it wasn't even THAT COLD" but I was so sad for those caught unprepared. 😔

Other than craigslist, are farmers markets appropriate for that or? And, originally I wanted to grow them for meat and eggs BUT I AM ATTATCHED 😂 I did sell some roosters on Craigslist but I'm just not sure what people are looking for? Fertilized eggs or non? Chicks? Pullets?
Thank you for the kind welcome
I see eggs and roosters at farmer markets
I see posts at feed stores, signs on side of road (and on fences) for eggs
Posts at stores selling birds
Word of mouth-a friend will ask or state such and such selling eggs or do you know anyone selling eggs, birds etc....
Thrifty nickel
Facebook
Example

Boniol Farm & Ranch: We will have about 75 dozen of white and brown eggs at farmer’s market Saturday morning.
Boniol Farm & Ranch: We have added Cornish Game Hens to our poultry line up along with our Cornish Crosses 🐓 and Broad Breasted White Turkeys 🦃. Nothing like farm fresh and knowing where your food comes from every time you sit down at the table.
Ask around, find some one that sells then start asking to find out market demand price
Good luck

Howdy. Welcome to Texas.
My cousin lives between Glen Rose and Granbury. Beautiful country.
Check with your county ag officer to see if there are any requirements when selling chicks or eggs at the farmers market- or just go to the market and ask a vendor. I am sure there would be a market for the birds as well as eggs.

Back
Top Bottom