Before and after

Attachments

• 20211205_081305.jpg
    20211205_081305.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20211205_092359.jpg
    20211205_092359.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
It's molting time. I'm hoping your girls are molting and don't have a case of oppossums.

Urs - where did you learn the small ones will eat tail feathers? This sounds strange to me.
I have seen it in my flock and the large possums will eat full size hens. Again I had to learn this the hard way. I have caught possums in the act. One hen lived, the other hen passed. Last night was the first time I "missed" a possum. It was extremely large and bum rushed me as I was closing the coop door, thus getting away. He was large enough that I am sure I would have lost at least one chicken.
The smaller possums eat the tail feathers for protein and when the hens start bawlking in the middle of the night you know one is in the coop and can sneak up on them and catch them in the act. Just like the big ones, with a hen in their mouth. I have no use for possums. They hurt my chickens.
When I had a rooster, he was a large size fowl and would chase the possums away, as well as kill any rats that may appear.
Did you need more info?

I have seen it in my flock and the large possums will eat full size hens. Again I had to learn this the hard way. I have caught possums in the act. One hen lived, the other hen passed. Last night was the first time I "missed" a possum. It was extremely large and bum rushed me as I was closing the coop door, thus getting away. He was large enough that I am sure I would have lost at least one chicken.
The smaller possums eat the tail feathers for protein and when the hens start bawlking in the middle of the night you know one is in the coop and can sneak up on them and catch them in the act. Just like the big ones, with a hen in their mouth. I have no use for possums. They hurt my chickens.
When I had a rooster, he was a large size fowl and would chase the possums away, as well as kill any rats that may appear.
Did you need more info?
no more info needed. Thank you very much for sharing. How's life?

Same hen as spring is broody for 4th time. This one is serious. Eggs in the incubator and 4/5 developing which surprised me so late in the year.

Back
Top Bottom