Texas

See I mentioned this type of laying schedule to the husband who INSISTS I can "train" mine to lay in the morning. He says, get up, feed them, don't let them out to free range until about 10a.m. when according to him they will be done laying. Ugghhhhh.
Did you ask the hens about this? Mine would disagree and go on strike.

I think this comes from the hens free ranging and laying eggs where you don't find them. If forced to lay in the house, easier to find and collect. Not all of us can go on an egg hunt daily.

My 2 hens are also upset they have to share the sunflower ration with the young ones. Takes a lot of energy chasing them off. The cockerels are about to take that long trip. 6 out of 15 are hens. The two maybes are now cockerels. So much for hoping.

Did you ask the hens about this? Mine would disagree and go on strike.

I think this comes from the hens free ranging and laying eggs where you don't find them. If forced to lay in the house, easier to find and collect. Not all of us can go on an egg hunt daily.
i
It is a wonder anybody can get chicks naturally. When mine begin free ranging any eggs laid willy nilly out and about will be wasted eggs . . . NOT a good thing. Oy vey. That is the reason for me having the animals.

I'm not getting any eggs. My girls are on strike.
However, their world has been turned upside-down topsy-turvy recently.
I have 4 hens and a rooster. They have lived in harmony, no hiccups, after adding my last hen, a foundling that was running the wild streets of SONIC. She's smaller than the rest, solid black, comb feet etc... etc...skin IS white. I added 12 🤪 babies (3 weeks old) to my flock. My girls are on strike. No chaos no fighting just nope you not gonna get eggs.
I also raked shitloads of pine needles and added to run and coop. So.....no eggs

So wait, then yours would hold the egg inside, on purpose? Not sure if that is an intelligent question or not? I am picturing the chicken be like, "I ain't lettin' 'er out; nope, nada, not!!!"
Changes cause stress. Stress disrupts the normal cycles of nature and the egg laying stops. Not exactly a conscious decision, but the results are no eggs. So once the plumbing is emptied, it won't be filled until they are happy again and the stress removed or they get used to "the way things are done here."

I am using a rain barrel with the chicken waterers on it. Seems training the new ones to use is a trick. I'd fill a saucer with water and the chicks would mob it. Guess they don't like the watering cups. They will use them, but suck the water out of the bottom.

I went back to the 5 gallon water with a pool of water for them to drink from in this dry weather. The egg laying isn't reliable and the eggs have shrunk. Hoping a different water source lets them hydrate more.

Changes cause stress. Stress disrupts the normal cycles of nature and the egg laying stops. Not exactly a conscious decision, but the results are no eggs. So once the plumbing is emptied, it won't be filled until they are happy again and the stress removed or they get used to "the way things are done here."

I am using a rain barrel with the chicken waterers on it. Seems training the new ones to use is a trick. I'd fill a saucer with water and the chicks would mob it. Guess they don't like the watering cups. They will use them, but suck the water out of the bottom.

I went back to the 5 gallon water with a pool of water for them to drink from in this dry weather. The egg laying isn't reliable and the eggs have shrunk. Hoping a different water source lets them hydrate more.
Ok, so then, mine are babies = no routine; nothing to change . . . yet. They will be out in their coop soon (as babies).

Ok, so then, mine are babies = no routine; nothing to change . . . yet. They will be out in their coop soon (as babies).
How old are they? Mine went to coop a week ago at 3 weeks. I just didn't want em in the house anymore. They're fine out there, living the good life. I took the dog cratebrooder out today....

How old are they? Mine went to coop a week ago at 3 weeks. I just didn't want em in the house anymore. They're fine out there, living the good life. I took the dog cratebrooder out today....
Matejka,

Honey, let's not go there!!!!! Ok, so what had happened wuz . . . :lau

My babies are 7 weeks old THIS week. :idunno From MY limited experience, going forward, I'd have 'em out by four weeks. Anywho, I am married to Farmer Mister who said he was able to make me a coop. OK, It took me a minute to get the funds for the materials. Finally, got 'em. He has started said atomiczombie tractor style coop. Yesterday, he sick. I was diagnosed COVID day before yesterday. Oy vey. So, the poor babies are stuck there until he feels well enough to complete the started coop. Thank gawd once it is done, it is done. We won't talk about the other coop I am going to want and need. I just think my brahmas should have their own house, you feel me?

Mine are brooding over there in my Ladie Lair (sewing room) inside small animal play pens. I have two sets going. The first - 7 weeks and a second set that is now one week old. I am excited for them to move into their own.

Oh, I just put a dust bath into the older ones space. I keep walking back to see if they "get" it yet. From what I have read the lil ones should have a dust bath too. So, I hope to find a small container for them to bathe also.

Mine started crowing at 8 weeks. Just hit 12 weeks yesterday and I can't delay any more. They are too loud and constantly sounding off. Tomorrow is the day. Sunday morning will be peaceful.

Mine started crowing at 8 weeks. Just hit 12 weeks yesterday and I can't delay any more. They are too loud and constantly sounding off. Tomorrow is the day. Sunday morning will be peaceful.
Whaaat!!! Talk about a baby growing up quickly. Well, I have 10 birds straight run; have NO CLUE what they are. This outta be interesting. Oh but wait, my 7 weekers are pullets; phew!!!! The lil babies (1 week) I have 10 chicks that I do not have a clue about . . . yet! They will be in coop by then though. Next week we should be all clear (according to my physician) so I get to go back to work and so had he better (on my coop, that is).

Back
Top Bottom