Texas

Reasons they failed inspection?
Regarding the trucks spontaneous failure:
Said to my face that “applied parking break and was able to push truck back and forth & it moved freely.”
Then said, “even though it’s a diesel it’s missing the muffler.”

I asked him if he liked what I did with the batteries?
He said he didn’t see the batteries.
I said that’s funny because you will of bonked your head on them to look at the exhaust. I moved them from the engine bay to under the bed to keep them cool and last longer just like the big 18 wheelers.
He said I had no idea that’s where they were.

This acknowledgment for lack of visual awareness is sufficient argument for questioning their competency as an inspector.

The rule of texas law does have a statement that a turbo dose qualify as a muffler.
The 7.3L motor at idle (and all other throttle levels) is louder than the exhaust. In fact the inspections since I bought truck over 6 years have never had a problem with this ANd that same location had previously passed it!

As for the other location when dealing with the car…. The dork said it was not within the law to accept the view of the insurance card saved as a pdf on my phone. I asked when this happened as I had just 2 weeks earlier gotten our minivan done the same way and nothing said about this? (3 other folks got up to leave and one of them said that’s where their insurance card was as they left too)
I went straight down the street (3-4 blocks) to the DMV/tax office to ask them…
The clerk said - and I’ll paraphrase,”I don’t know where that came from but, it’s a lie.”

Went to a different location of the same franchise and they passed it fine…
Granted the clerk said to me,”it passed & that’ll be $25.”
I blank face stained and asked when did it change from $7 it’s a diesel car.

-pauses because I feel like I just repeated myself at this point in the story….

@electrycmonk got a 1 month old silkie that I'd like to know sex. The hatchmates are 3 pullets, 1 cockerel and one leaning cockerel but they are real chickens. The little ball of fluff is unknown.

Comb is smallish still. Posture alternates between upright cockerel and horizontal pullet that I'm not sure.

What else do you key off of to sex?

@electrycmonk got a 1 month old silkie that I'd like to know sex. The hatchmates are 3 pullets, 1 cockerel and one leaning cockerel but they are real chickens. The little ball of fluff is unknown.

Comb is smallish still. Posture alternates between upright cockerel and horizontal pullet that I'm not sure.

What else do you key off of to sex?
(Giggles to self) Total truth Dude…. I wait for the eggs to show up. During those 1st 3 hatching threads I’d made. And the sex outcomes versus guessing… as I recall my accuracy was like 25%-ish correct?

I also had a very high mortality rate on them as well. Really demoralizing to have so many come down and pass so quickly with wry neck!

Last years batch of Daughters “oops” is now just a lone silkie that’s seems to be leaning towards hen but, I don’t know if it’s dropped any eggs yet….. other outstanding distractions have kept me from figuring out what sex it is. All the rest from that batch are now dead or snagged by what I can only surmise is avian predator.

Lost a Roo’ 2 weekends ago that was from the 1st hatch-a-long that I was hoping to become 2nd or 3rd in command hear next year…. It was a mixed breed from our batch’s first mixing….

Pictures at 8-10 weeks is the only rough suggestion to start to go off from.

I can share pictures here or wonder over to my hatch-a-long threads to see the samples….

(Giggles to self) Total truth Dude…. I wait for the eggs to show up. During those 1st 3 hatching threads I’d made. And the sex outcomes versus guessing… as I recall my accuracy was like 25%-ish correct?

I also had a very high mortality rate on them as well. Really demoralizing to have so many come down and pass so quickly with wry neck!

Last years batch of Daughters “oops” is now just a lone silkie that’s seems to be leaning towards hen but, I don’t know if it’s dropped any eggs yet….. other outstanding distractions have kept me from figuring out what sex it is. All the rest from that batch are now dead or snagged by what I can only surmise is avian predator.

Lost a Roo’ 2 weekends ago that was from the 1st hatch-a-long that I was hoping to become 2nd or 3rd in command hear next year…. It was a mixed breed from our batch’s first mixing….

Pictures at 8-10 weeks is the only rough suggestion to start to go off from.

I can share pictures here or wonder over to my hatch-a-long threads to see the samples….
Thank you for confirming. The one toddling around the yard is a total doofus. 1/3 the height and almost half the weight of the other hatchlings. It will duck under anyone looking like a mother figure. Think of the Sesame Street song, "one of these things,...".

Uncoordinated. Graceless.

I will foster this one for 6 months. The friend's coop is full of mean girls and she really wants a silkie for looks. Like you, hers were targeted and didn't survive.

Hard to count the 6 in this hatching. Count heads, then figure out which one has 4 feet.

Thank you for confirming. The one toddling around the yard is a total doofus. 1/3 the height and almost half the weight of the other hatchlings. It will duck under anyone looking like a mother figure. Think of the Sesame Street song, "one of these things,...".

Uncoordinated. Graceless.

I will foster this one for 6 months. The friend's coop is full of mean girls and she really wants a silkie for looks. Like you, hers were targeted and didn't survive.

Hard to count the 6 in this hatching. Count heads, then figure out which one has 4 feet.
Thinking you should talk the friend into a second coop for silkies. It sounds like a painful setting for the silkie, unless it is a He.

Thinking you should talk the friend into a second coop for silkies. It sounds like a painful setting for the silkie, unless it is a He.
The predator load is high. They wish to free range. They are on the edge of someone else's horse pasture and the chickens roam the openness of the pasture. For benefit and detriment. So imagine a white, fluffy, clumsy silkie in the wide open expanse. Now imagine talking an eagle out of a meal.

Yes, we've discussed it. We've discussed several items. Short of me doing it for them, I don't see it happening. It's like telling someone how to parent. A very touchy subject if they aren't open to criticism.

The predator load is high. They wish to free range. They are on the edge of someone else's horse pasture and the chickens roam the openness of the pasture. For benefit and detriment. So imagine a white, fluffy, clumsy silkie in the wide open expanse. Now imagine talking an eagle out of a meal.

Yes, we've discussed it. We've discussed several items. Short of me doing it for them, I don't see it happening. It's like telling someone how to parent. A very touchy subject if they aren't open to criticism.
I do understand. We all have family and friends like that. I might have been a "you can't tell me nothin' girl" when I was younger. 🤣

Anyone in Central Texas interested in a 15 week old Black Australorp cockerel? We have two, but are keeping one. Pictures of both, and one of dad for reference. Little Roo looks like the spitting image of dad, Other Roo is still growing into that image. Dad, Rooster Cogburn, is a good boy who helps raise his offspring. Both of these boys were brought up in the flock by a broody momma, so they understand flock dynamics well. We are in Richland Springs, but I am willing to meet 1/2 way in the right circumstance. Thank you.
Updated photos. These guys are growing up beautifully. I am trying to rehome them so I don't have to dispatch of them. I have tried this site, all my community boards on FB and another site that I cannot remember the name of. My girls need them gone and Rooster Cogburn is running around like a maniac trying to keep them in check. I am giving them until week 20, then I will have to do what I desperately do not want to do.

Attachments

• Little Roo 4_3_23_#1.jpg
    Little Roo 4_3_23_#1.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 1
  • Other Roo 4_3_23 #4.jpg
    Other Roo 4_3_23 #4.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom