Texas

Has anyone had experience with egg laying retired hens from proceducing factories? I took one in and her beak is clipped and she walks around looking at things like everything is new. She is a year and a half.
I have not. I've read similar stories and the beak will eventually grow out. How did you get a retired hen?

Some of my Ideal 236 layers developed lash eggs after a year. They laid well until that point.

Best wishes with your new gal.

I have not. I've read similar stories and the beak will eventually grow out. How did you get a retired hen?

Some of my Ideal 236 layers developed lash eggs after a year. They laid well until that point.

Best wishes with your new gal.
One of my neighbors she finds company’s that are “retiring” them and she’ll buy like 40 at a time and then give them away for free to good ppl or keep what she can on her property…. I’m new at raising chickens but I thought I’d give it a shot. I feel really bad for the hen she is healthy and eating but walks around like she’s stretching her legs and then will examine everything around her kind of neat to watch her explore but can’t imagine her previous living conditions she is scared of people touching her so she pecks us and is skiddish

Has anyone had experience with egg laying retired hens from proceducing factories? I took one in and her beak is clipped and she walks around looking at things like everything is new. She is a year and a half.
Don't expect the beak to grow back. I think they cauterize them. I have an old langshan that I bought 3rd hand. She has never grown hers back, nor did the wyandotte that I bought with her. The wyandotte, Dottie, died a couple of years ago.
Lucy is at least 8 now. She is beautiful to me. I'm a sucker for langshans.
20200813_194823.jpg

20191109_160505.jpg

I'm still learning. Good to know about the beaks.

I've been hatching my own for 3 years now. Friends keep roosters and I get fertile eggs. As the flock and roosters change, the flock changes. The 2022 hatch are black birds. The sole leghorn gave a white rooster so friend is now hatching white chicks. He got some red broilers with the results being white and red hens for 2023 with an occasional black. Interesting to see the change.

Enjoy your hobby.

Don't expect the beak to grow back. I think they cauterize them. I have an old langshan that I bought 3rd hand. She has never grown hers back, nor did the wyandotte that I bought with her. The wyandotte, Dottie, died a couple of years ago.
Lucy is at least 8 now. She is beautiful to me. I'm a sucker for langshans.
View attachment 3526546
View attachment 3526554
Beautiful babies. My daughter calls our rescue mama Maude because she’s older. He beak is clipped but still relatively long a little more than your white laced. But not by much I’m not sure why this thing turned to bold letters 😂

Anyone going to this one?

View attachment 3526557
Omg. No. I would love to, but I'd bring home chickens.
I have a broody with chicks, one that just weened her's and is trying to sit again, and two on 13 eggs. And that's just the bantams.
Right now I'm building new grow out pens.
I do want some guineas though...
(& I'm down to only one 5 year old orpington)

Back
Top Bottom