Texas

Ok so I live in Texas and I don’t know if I should ask here but would this be something I could convert to a coop? It doesn’t really get any shade and that’s why I’m worried. I would shade the big run I enclose it with so shade cloth could run across the top of the coop. I’m just trying to be frugal but I do have some spots that get a lot of late day shade I could build from scratch on and just build everything from pallets. I am NOT bob the builder so this would also be easier lol. Oh and the shed is about 7.75 ft x 7.75 ft inside wall to wall and I’d start with a few hens at first but maybe this could fit 8 total?

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend :)
I would definitely add some hardwire 2×4" covered windows at least at the top on the side to allow for some heat to escape for ventilation

Ok so I live in Texas and I don’t know if I should ask here but would this be something I could convert to a coop? It doesn’t really get any shade and that’s why I’m worried. I would shade the big run I enclose it with so shade cloth could run across the top of the coop. I’m just trying to be frugal but I do have some spots that get a lot of late day shade I could build from scratch on and just build everything from pallets. I am NOT bob the builder so this would also be easier lol. Oh and the shed is about 7.75 ft x 7.75 ft inside wall to wall and I’d start with a few hens at first but maybe this could fit 8 total?

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend :)

If You plan to shade the chickens run then why not make that roof a little taller and slightly longer to do a MUCH more effective job of creating a TRUE thermal barrier for this easily modified into a coop small building.

As others have already mentioned; 1/2” HC (hardware cloth) is ideal for the screening of cutouts.

As for the recommendation of the roof over this for Your coop? Minimum 2-3” of air gap between the run’s roof and this things roof. Idealistically the air gap will be best about 6-8 inches of air gap.
A fabric layer is a somewhat acceptable emergency top layer but, a real metal roof for the run & coop is ideal.
It’s super light weight.
It holds up to hail (and tornadic winds to a point) if it’s screwed down effectively.

My roof has handled multiple 70+mph storms, snow annd multiple hail storms over the last 4+ years here on this hill just NW of Denton.

Oh holy damaged well Batman!

This fell on my water well!
1000005330.jpg

1000005329.jpg

:th

Back
Top Bottom