Texas

Quote:
Howdy and Welcome,

I'm a total newbie myself and we're practically neighbors!

Great to somebody from my neck of the woods! Hopefully we can share the joy of some rain together soon huh?

Hi Everyone we just moved to Boerne and love it! We are excited to start building our coop and investigating where to purchase and what breeds to get. I scratch cook and easily go through a dozen in a week - could easily push it up to two dozen. I have 4 kids and must have friendly chickens. Any breed suggestions would be fantastic. We want chickens that have had no vaccines and given no feed with medication(had no idea that was even offered!) 6 chicks tops.

Also need a soy-free feed - any recipes or suggestions on where to purchase would be awesome. Organic or non GMO feed that has not been laced with pesticides and chemical fertilizers would be awesome too.

What a great forum -so much help!

frow.gif
neighbor

Quote:
He wouldn't even know what a dorking is!@ lol

Just my luck!
smile.png
The hunt continues....

Hope he's enjoying the weather we've had the last couple days....also hope he's hiding from the mosquitoes! GRRRR!

Wow .. DH went down to his dad's in Alvin last night and said the mosquitoes are HORRIBLE .. He was on the motorcycle and said that everytime he stopped at a light or stopsign, he just got COVERED .. lol.

They don't call it "mosquito flats" for nothing, huh?

Quote:
Aww, thanks for the info. I was going to try to make it but can't get away. Hope you do well with your birds, be sure to let us know how it goes for you!!

Quote:
Hello from Adkins

We have 9 americauna, 5 buff orpington, 2 barred rock, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 4 production reds, and 2 golden sex links ( my sexy chicks (they have no butt feathers)). Also have 2 turkeys and 3 guineas, and 7 cats. So far it seems that the americauna have the calmest personality (and lay blue or green eggs) out of all of the birds we have. They like to talk to us and to be picked up and carried around. The more you handle them of course the better they will be. We had started with 5 americaunas, and ended up with 4 more when the feed store had gotten another batch a few months later because we love the way their colors vary. We have no roosters, one of the turkeys is a tom tho but he is a gentle giant. I believe all of our guineas are hens but not sure. This combination has worked well for us. I think that if you keep the rooster away, unless you have a need for fertilized eggs, the flock stays pretty calm. I have had my production reds fly up at me, but they just wanted to land on my shoulder. I later figured out they were not happy when they did that. I added a few toys to their run like a few roosts a foot off the ground, a few bins they could run into and some hanging baskets to put treats in to give them something to do, and since then the reds have not attempted to fly onto me. I would also mention that the barred rocks seem to be really calm and have a good personality as well. They do lay the brown eggs and are also a pretty hardy bird.

Please ask any questions you may have, I will be happy to attempt to help. I am far from being an expert but have learned tons over the last 9 months. I even started a mealworm farm just over a week ago just to give my girls a bit of extra protein when they go into molt mode.

Jason

Hi, north east texas near Paris, just starting out with chickens, so i have lots to learn any help/ advice welcome

Quote:
Read this site twice
smile.png

plan, then plan again...
Think bigger than you need at the moment (chicken math doesnt work like normal math)
Build the coop before you buy the chickens
hmm.png
Unless you have a place to keep them temporarily.

Those are the steps I should have taken...

Jason

Quote:
Just my luck!
smile.png
The hunt continues....

Hope he's enjoying the weather we've had the last couple days....also hope he's hiding from the mosquitoes! GRRRR!

Wow .. DH went down to his dad's in Alvin last night and said the mosquitoes are HORRIBLE .. He was on the motorcycle and said that everytime he stopped at a light or stopsign, he just got COVERED .. lol.

They don't call it "mosquito flats" for nothing, huh?

I've lived here for more decades than I care to remember and this is as bad as I've seen it. It's so bad that you don't dare even open your mouth because they'll fly in - ewwwwwwwwww! I'm dead set against chemical warfare, but against these mosquitos - it's a fair fight....

The poor critters... so many mosquito borne illnesses that I wish I could wrap the barn in mosquito netting.

Back
Top Bottom