Texas

FOR NORTH TEXAS PEEPS WITH ROOSTER KEEPING ABILITY...
I bought in March, 6 1-day old chicks. 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 White Rocks & 2 Black Stars. Paid extra to have them sexed.
I have 2 12 week old roos, that need re-homing. No roosters allowed in Arlington. They are freindly and get along. Shake the meal worm bucket they will come running.
smile.png

WELL, one of the Black Stars is a handsome Black w/red EE. He is very punctual if you have to be up at 6. Then one of the White rocks is a male as well. One of the Orpington's gender is questionalble too.
Going to take pictures now, I think I have some older ones on my page in my albums
Where did you buy them? You'd think if you paid extra for sexed chicks, they would trade them out.

River Bottom Hatchery in Ft Worth. I won't deal with him anymore. These boys deserve a better home. He keeps his roosters in cages, till he is ready for them.

I loaned my Columbine Wynadotte to him. to add fresh blood to his line. She came home a mess. Dirty, mites, worms & had lost a lot of weight-then he complained she didn't lay well. He was getting only 2 eggs a week from her. I get 4-5 from her a week now.

I keep telling my husband I didn't think he fed his girls right.

Where did you buy them? You'd think if you paid extra for sexed chicks, they would trade them out.
River Bottom Hatchery in Ft Worth. I won't deal with him anymore. These boys deserve a better home. He keeps his roosters in cages, till he is ready for them.

I loaned my Columbine Wynadotte to him. to add fresh blood to his line. She came home a mess. Dirty, mites, worms & had lost a lot of weight-then he complained she didn't lay well. He was getting only 2 eggs a week from her. I get 4-5 from her a week now.

I keep telling my husband I didn't think he fed his girls right.

We are in Cedar Hill. We're new chicken raisers. We have a Buff Orpington rooster ( had a Buff Orp hen, but our papillon got her about 4 wks in, that was devastating), A few Rhode Island Reds and one we think is an Aseel, we are not real sure, and 3 Cornish Rocks. My husband designed our coop and the chicks all seem to like their new home and are learning quickly. Just loving it. Our papillons are no longer messing with them, just a little jealous and our cat hasn't messed with them at all. Which was really great! We are also new to Backyard Chicken site, still finding my way around site.

HI and welcome jskeener, I'm pretty new here too. I live in Timpson down around Nacodoches. BYC has a wealth of info here and a lot of helpful and knowledgeable friendly people. I love your chicken coop and run it looks really nice. I'm just finishing mine up and still have to put my fence up.
welcome-byc.gif

Well.. my Colombian Wyandotte hen is broody for the 3rd time since December. Anyone have some fertile eggs they need hatched? She's a stubborn sort that doesn't care if I keep taking her off her nest, if I dunk her in cold water, or if I put cold packs under her.. she's willing to hatch the air. The only way I've found to get her over it and to start laying again is to let her sit on some eggs.

Her past records are 4/8 shipped eggs and 7/7 local eggs (the second was done with a partner broody who shared her nest). She is a very attentive mother who has to be reminded to eat and drink, but was very good in leading her chicks around and teaching them to be chickens. She doesn't mind when the chicks get rambunctious on her (with her last chicks, I caught them several times pecking at her eyes and hanging onto her waddles.

Anyone want to help me out and have an experienced hen hatch their eggs for free?

Last edited:
Hi Moon Kit you are not to terribly far from me I am in Rhome just outside of Justin. Wow I could use your broody to see if she will hatch out my Lavenders sense I seem to be doing something wrong. So far all the ones I have been putting in to hatch are not hatching. I am going to switch out my roosters and see if that helps.
And it really is not helping that I only have 2 hens left. I had about 8 but a stray dog got into our old neighborhood and killed all but 2.
Let me see about how to get some eggs out your way for your broody sense we only have 1 vehicle and its hubbys old truck and I really do not like driving it.

Hi new members that just signed up with the Texas group
welcome-byc.gif

this is a really great site. Really learn a lot from this group. Hi Stormy Moon did not know you were in this group too. This is dfwquiltr37 from the dfwpoultry group just in case you were not sure. Looks like we got a few new members close by this time.

I am in Rhome we are just outside of Justin and 6 miles from the speedway .
We have been getting rain now for 3 hours or so along with the lightening and thunder love it. We lost power just long enough for it to come back on.

Mschickenmomma, I have not heard of that Hatchery where in fort worth is he located? How sad to keep his roosters caged up in cages I am sure that are to small for the guy to move around in. I have all mine in Pens and i do have a rooster in a cage but its plenty big he can even have a mate if he wants and still be okay. Each day 1 of the groups is let out to run around he can at least do that for the poor things.
Are the chickens in really horrible conditions? If so I can probably do something about it. My husband and I run a Rescue mainly for horses but we take in other animals as well and we have connections to the SPCA. I can give them a call if you feel its that bad over there.

Speaking of feeding what are all of you feeding yours other than the Layer, or Chick Starter? I feel I am giving mine enough then other times i feel they need more to get some more weight put on them specially around the breast area.

I give mine layer along with steamed oats, small scoop of sweet feed, rabbit pellets and scratch. I do not always give them the scratch only about once a week or so to hot to give them to much of it. I feel like I am missing something and not sure what. They do get scraps from the house if we have any left over. I do need to get them some more oyster shell sense they are running low.

Hi Moon Kit you are not to terribly far from me I am in Rhome just outside of Justin. Wow I could use your broody to see if she will hatch out my Lavenders sense I seem to be doing something wrong. So far all the ones I have been putting in to hatch are not hatching. I am going to switch out my roosters and see if that helps.
And it really is not helping that I only have 2 hens left. I had about 8 but a stray dog got into our old neighborhood and killed all but 2.
Let me see about how to get some eggs out your way for your broody sense we only have 1 vehicle and its hubbys old truck and I really do not like driving it.
Pm'd you :D

Back
Top Bottom