Texas

Hi Henry! Sorry to hear of your rooster problems! I guess that's part of raising chicks though. I have 10 Dominique chicks right now and I know 6 of them are roos. Oh well...
idunno.gif

Are the hens you got from me still laying for you? Just interested to know...
Hey! Yeah they're still laying quite well. The others I had bought elsewhere started up a couple weeks after i got those and so I haven't bought eggs since then. Out of the 5 I have laying, I've been getting 30 +- a week. Raising chicks has been a rewarding experience too, I just wish I had land outside the city and could keep them all! The bantam roosters are a ton of fun to watch strut around

It was so nice to have the weather cool off for the evening last night.
smile.png
I like my chickens but it's quite a challenge to keep them cool while one is also broody. I have 3 silkies, and they take turns being broody. So, I have a broody all the time.
barnie.gif

Good friend and I processed chickens for the very first time today! I wanted to tell someone but I didn't want to start a new thread.. hehe. We bought some chickens from someone to "practice" with before we invest in meat chickens if we didn't have the heart/stomach to do it. We went with the method illustrated in the youtube video "respectful chicken harvest." Everything went really well and we plan to have rotisserie chicken tonight!

I need some help. One of my RIRs has canker. I noticed it yesterday when she was eating. None of the crumbles she was eating were actually staying in her beak. I picked her up and her crop was empty even though she had been eating with the other chicks for at least 5-10 mins. She is about 10 wks old. I opened her beak and she had no visible signs of any growths. I noticed that her throat right below her beak was a little swollen. I researched and she has all the symptoms except for the growths visible so that just means it is lower. I have been giving her bread softened with water and milk. I separated her from the rest of her buddies. Today, she is eating better but I see yellowish discoloration on her tongue. No growths but they are coming. I swabbed her mouth and throat with some iodine but need to get her some meds and treat the rest just in case. I am been having a hard time finding anyone that carries any of the meds in my area. I checked all the places that sell fish to get some fish zole but none carry it. There is no vet that will treat her anywhere near me. I can order it but I'm scared it will not get here before I have to go to Houston Thursday for my son's surgery. Is there anyone that has any in Southeast TX or near that I can buy it from? I will of course come get it. Going to check the feed store in the morning but not optimistic that they will carry anything for it.

PS: fish zole, flagyl, metronizdaole, dimetridazole, camadozole, ronidazole, ridsol-s, turbosole, trich-plus, ronivet and emetryl will cure it and some of the names are the same medications. I am desperate. I need to treat them all. Scared I will have my whole young flock down with it soon. :barnie

I wonder if this would have any effect on the canker. I have some bactrim. Wouldn't give it to her unless I was absolutely sure it would have an effect on the canker and I could find the correct dose.

Name: Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (Commercial name: Bactrim, many others)

Description: Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim is a synthetic antibacterial combination product that is bacteriostatic against a broad range of Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria.

Usage: Bacterial infections shown to be susceptible to the drug.

Adverse reactions: None that are common.

Dosage: 30 mg/bird twice daily for 7 days. 1800 - 3600 mg/gallon for 7 days.

Comments: A good drug in many cases of Gram negative bacterial infections. Some preparations dissolve poorly in water.

I am going to go to the emergency forum and see what some of them say about the bactrim. If not any good then I am back to square one trying to find some meds tomorrow.

Good friend and I processed chickens for the very first time today! I wanted to tell someone but I didn't want to start a new thread.. hehe. We bought some chickens from someone to "practice" with before we invest in meat chickens if we didn't have the heart/stomach to do it. We went with the method illustrated in the youtube video "respectful chicken harvest." Everything went really well and we plan to have rotisserie chicken tonight!
Wow. that's impressive. Let us know how your chicken diner tastes!

I need some help. One of my RIRs has canker. I noticed it yesterday when she was eating. None of the crumbles she was eating were actually staying in her beak. I picked her up and her crop was empty even though she had been eating with the other chicks for at least 5-10 mins. She is about 10 wks old. I opened her beak and she had no visible signs of any growths. I noticed that her throat right below her beak was a little swollen. I researched and she has all the symptoms except for the growths visible so that just means it is lower. I have been giving her bread softened with water and milk. I separated her from the rest of her buddies. Today, she is eating better but I see yellowish discoloration on her tongue. No growths but they are coming. I swabbed her mouth and throat with some iodine but need to get her some meds and treat the rest just in case. I am been having a hard time finding anyone that carries any of the meds in my area. I checked all the places that sell fish to get some fish zole but none carry it. There is no vet that will treat her anywhere near me. I can order it but I'm scared it will not get here before I have to go to Houston Thursday for my son's surgery. Is there anyone that has any in Southeast TX or near that I can buy it from? I will of course come get it. Going to check the feed store in the morning but not optimistic that they will carry anything for it.
PS: fish zole, flagyl, metronizdaole, dimetridazole, camadozole, ronidazole, ridsol-s, turbosole, trich-plus, ronivet and emetryl will cure it and some of the names are the same medications. I am desperate. I need to treat them all. Scared I will have my whole young flock down with it soon.
barnie.gif
I wouldn't put iodine in her mouth.

Back
Top Bottom