Thanks for the Christmas Present, Byron

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
I've had all kinds of chicken discord since we finished moving last week. I, sadly, have my egg layers in a space that's to small for them all and I can't do anything about it right now - I have a solution, but it's not ready yet. So, I have four 'active' Orpington cockerels and they've been together since hatching. One decided to get in a fight with the other - cockerel #4 tore up #3. I took #3 out because he was the worst off. I go in today and cockerel #2 is bloody and beat up. I decided #4 needed an attitude adjustment, so I chased him around and gave him a boot a couple of times when he tried mounting one of the girls in front of me until he was literally hiding behind the skirts of the girls. Satisfied I won, I head off to the temporary bantam Cochin cockerel's dog kennel. I walk up to it and my buff Columbian cockerel, Byron - the biggest and prettiest of the bunch - is trying to wing dance with me. He's never done this before. I gave him a firm warning that he had better not. That sent him over to the doggy igloo as I entered the kennel and then he skirted back over to me and as I was just about to bend over for the waterer, he jumped at me with what little spurs he has aimed at my face. I chased him, I flogged him, I 'pecked' his head, I picked him up and carried him around. After about a half an hour, I held him to the ground in the kennel (of course the other 4 boys really wanted to jump on him and beat him up, but I shooed one with a swift back-hand and the rest stayed away after that). I let him up when he was done resisting. Now, I walk out of the house and he runs and hides. Hopefully this is his will be his only infraction. I need him for my breeding program, but I will not tolerate those actions. I have two kids, an 8 and 10 year old that help me do chores. If that had been my 10yr old son, he would have had claws in is face.

A lot of bad boys this week. Think coal in their stocking will help? I think three of the five will be roasting over an open fire... Or the like... Before the end of the year. Nom-nom-nom!!!

you are not saying how many hens these boys service, or their age. could be to manny cheifs too few indians if you catch my drift

merry christmas

Last edited:
I know it really wasn't funny at the time, but reading this from an outsider's perspective, I did get a giggle out of it solely because of how ludicrous it is that they decided to act up one after the other. Good luck with things!

Back
Top Bottom