Thanks for the crock pot idea!

Saffy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 29, 2007
smile.png
Well I cooked one of the year and half old roosters in the crock pot! Wow was he tender and deliousious! (sp?) I put about 3/4 cups of water in the bottom, rubbed about a tsp of lemon curry on the bird, sprinkled paprika, salt & pepper and of course some garlic power. It was fantastic, tasted similar to the already roasted chickens bought at the grocery store. I am now looking forward to my next crock pot chicken!

I am on the fence with buying fast growing meat birds. Part of me says no way do I want to eat a frankstein type chicken. Instead I bought 50 roosters of heavy breeds, they just did not have that beautiful breast, I must have fed $100's more in feed then I would have though. I am thinking of buying about 25 meat birds from Ideal Hatchery and trying it.

Quote:
Those fast growing chickens were developed with pure old fashioned breed crossing to get a fast growing bird….they were not genetically altered in any way.

There is nothing frankenstein about the chickens.

They are selectively bred for specific fast growing features - like the wide full breast at 6 - 8 weeks.

There is no genetically altered meat in the US.

I think I will try some then this fall! I was under the impression ( read on other boards) that they were genticly modified. Why is it we can not create our own cross? What do they do that we can't do at home? Thanks for replying.

Quote:
Saffy:

The commercial Broilers usded for chicken meat production AND sold by hatcheries as "Cornish x" are the product of highly selected lines of chickens. A spedific "rooster line" is crossed with a complementary "hen line" to produce chickes with specfic and exptected growth and meat yield attributes. They are hybrids that are not intended for reproduction, simply as the end product as meat.

some on this board have had success in their flocks with various crosses of different breeds.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom