Thanksgiving Hatch- Anyone want to join in?

In the incubator it isn't uncommon for my eggs (standard or bantam) to hatch a day or two early. It doesn't always happen and last time I was shocked by a very early hatch. Under a broody, we usually get chicks in the full 21 days. Standard, bantam, doesn't matter.

I see a lot of you are candling eggs one at a time - I used to do it that way until I found an easier way...let me explain

If you are using a Hovabator or Sportman incubator that has plastic egg racks, you can easily candle up to 30 eggs at a time - minimilizing the time that eggs are out of the incubator and getting exposed to the cold. What you basically need to do is construct a very simple candler - take a carton box that is approximately 10'' x 10'' x 10''. Place a household 100W bulb on the inside by making use of a lead lamp (Lamp that is attached to a chord that you can easily move around). Make sure the opening at the top of the box is just big enough so that the tray with all the eggs in it can be placed on top without any gaps on either of the sides. As soon as you place the tray on top of the the box, swich on the lamp (which is now inside the box) so that it lights up the eggs from the bottom. Make sure you do this in a dark room, otherwise it will be difficult to distinguise the fertile from the infertile eggs. As soon as you switch the lamp on, you will quickly see which eggs are good and which ones you should throw away.

This candling technique saves an incredable amount of time seeing that instead of candling one egg at a time, you can now do 30!

Let me know if the above makes sense - perhaps some of you know of better techniques - feel free to post them!

oohhh awsome idea... i don't have either of the mentioned bators.. or a turner with trays.. so i'm still checking one at a time... lol...

but i will have to remember this one for later...

I just got back late last night from Ohio National so just candled tonight. 10 out of 18 eggs are still a go. Some were no development, some were deaths at different stages.

Candled tonight because I smelled something funny
sickbyc.gif

Found 2 stink bombs in the making, one of the mixes and one of the silkies. Got them out of there and finished candling, tossed a bit more than I wanted but I'm happy to be left with 38 total that are either kicking around or otherwise in the right level of progress. All but one of the discarded ones were marked questionable from last candling and I only marked 3 questionable this time.

One more week.....
wee.gif

I checked the bator again and the area around it still smelled bad. And I have a sinus infection right now so I know it had to really stink. Double checked each and every egg again with the sniff test and habby check after me.......

We found another one. It was one I had marked questionable since I really couldn't distinguish any veins because it looked so dark. Better safe than sorry.

So how long does it take for the stink to leave the bator???

So when is everyone going on lockdown? Mine are due to go on the 23rd and they usually hatch out 1 day early. Does anyone here go on early lockdown if yours hatch out early or do you stick with day 18?

Back
Top Bottom