Thanksgiving Hatchalong

Looks like #6 to hatch is also a buff color. There is one that looks like it's going to be white, one I can't tell because it's a mix between yellow and peach fuzz, three buffs or possibly red because they are very peachy, and one really dark chipmunk that I am assuming may be partridge colored. They are all tiny, too little to be able to reach and eat from the normal sized chick feeder so the top is open so they can hop in but usually mama hen scratches food out onto the floor for them. Some have regular feet but some have 5 toes and feathered feet, because they are all so tiny I assume our silkie rooster is the dad of all of them. Possible moms are buff orpingtons, red stars, rhode island red, and gold laced wyandottes. I didn't realize my big girls would go broody. That's the only reason I bought silkies. The silkies haven't gone broody. They even have 7 eggs they have been laying and won't sit on them. They didn't start laying again until they were put in a pen with the silkie rooster after we brought home a Wyandotte rooster for the big hens. So I'm still crossing my fingers for a silkie/orpington hen out of these chicks. My silkie hens are broken, I've never seen them think about being broody. Even with 7 eggs in their nest. They will just lay eggs out in the grass sometimes too.

They are in the garage right now. Lol. She has taught them how to eat and drink. Sometimes she lets them go out to eat without her and she just watches from the nest. I thought yesterday she was maybe off the nest too often to hatch out anymore, but we got that one last night. The food and water is about 1 foot from her nest. She doesn't stay off of the eggs for more than 5 minutes, she's just getting up more frequently than she did before any of her chicks hatched. I do think pretty soon she is going to want to lead them out into the yard and leave the unhatched eggs behind. Maybe we will get a couple more days as it's going to be rainy here until Tuesday and she has thought about taking them into the yard but called them back to the nest instead. I'm ok if no more eggs hatch as these were totally not planned. It would be nice if the of them would just hurry up before she gives up on sitting on them.

She sounds like a wonderful momma :) she's doing a great job taking care of her eggs and the babies!! And they are SO cute!

We'll have lots going on have 14 eggs due tomorrow next week have 3 due week after have 8 due and on the last week I have 13 due all under broody hens to so excited all old English bantams and Orpingtons

We'll have lots going on have 14 eggs due tomorrow next week have 3 due week after have 8 due and on the last week I have 13 due all under broody hens to so excited all old English bantams and Orpingtons

Wow that's going to keep you busy for sure!

8 external pips...no chicks this has been a long day and going to be even a longer night

Hope those babies start zipping soon for you. How many do you have in lockdown?

Those are really clear pics! I'd like to get some of mine but I'm worried about dropping an egg in the process! I use a small flashlight so I'd have to balance the egg and flashlight in one hand and take a pic with the other. Is that what you did?

I put my small led flashlight in a tall empty shot glass then put a empty toilet paper roll over them both and put the egg on that. Then took the pictures with my iPhone. What you don't see is the 20 blurry pictures I deleted off my phone. :)

I think all my eggs are infertile.
It's day 4 and I can't see any development yet.:(

Give it afew more days. Hard to tell really early, but day 6 I could see veins starting in some of mine. Hoping more will show signs of developing in a few more days when I candle again.

Give it afew more days. Hard to tell really early, but day 6 I could see veins starting in some of mine. Hoping more will show signs of developing in a few more days when I candle again.

I know, I'm not gonna toss them yet. They are duck eggs too, so maybe I just can't tell yet? They are white, and I thought I could tell by day 4 in the past but maybe I'm wrong. It's been a while since I've done duck eggs.:fl

Back
Top Bottom