Thanksgiving Hatchalong

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Chrysolinsbirds, Oct 20, 2015.

1. lmboeder

lmboeder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2015
    So...I need some clarification since this is my first hatch. I set eggs at 9am on 10-23. Day 1 is 10-24 at 9am correct? Which would put me at lock down on Halloween and day 21 at 11-3, right? My eggs are bantam crosses so I was told to be prepared for hatching as early as day 18....? I really think I'm over thinking this:)

2. Chrysolinsbirds

Chrysolinsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA

Umm the day you set is day zero. Your setting tomorrow? Today is 10/22 ;) if they are bantam crosses expect hatch day 18, so lock down at least one day before that on day 17, I have had bantams hatch early. Also don't toss any non Hatchers till at least day 28 because they are crosses they could go 21 days and or be late. Excepting obvious leakers, seepers and blood rings (toss right away to avoid the nastiness)

3. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA

Candle again in a few days before tossing any you could have some late starters ;) even small tempature fluctuations going to low could add a couple days to the hatch day. =} good luck
    Ooh Are you hatching brahmas? Cochins? Duccles? Or some other fancy feather footed breed?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  4. lmboeder

Jul 11, 2015
    ha! 10-13 set. Geez I'm loosing it!

5. lmboeder

Jul 11, 2015
    They are bantam/LF crosses. So should I still lockdown on day 17?

6. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    Yes
    Yes because you don't know which genes they'll favor, yiu might have one hatch at day 17 and another on day 23

7. lmboeder

Jul 11, 2015
    Thank you!! What about humidity? I've been reading some people run it a little lower for bantams.

8. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    I never even bother with it unless I'm doing water fowl(mist daily sometimes twice) I run dry until lockdown and then I try to keep it about %40 depending on the weather. But I don't obsess over it, I hatch in a styro and I just fill one resivoir for chicken eggs and both for ducks/geese when I start lockdown and if if drys out before the hatching is done I fill it again. But that's me and it works for me in my kitchen and my bator at my elevation with my household humidity....

9. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    Since bantams tend to be a little harder to hatch and more sensitive to changes I would think that they could "drown" easier in a higher humidity.. But I am not an expert just my thoughts about it

10. Chrysolinsbirds

Oct 9, 2013
    Merced county, CA
    no worries I do it all the time lol as long as you have it marked down somewhere with the right day your good lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by