Thanksgiving Hatchalong

So I "accidentally*" bid on some eggs on ebay, and no one outbid me! So I should have 6+ "Araucana" eggs arriving next week. I didn't do too good for the Halloween hatch along. 11 in lock down, 6 hatched, 5 DIS (shrinkwrapped :() and one that passed about 48 hrs after hatch. So I figured out that my humidity at lockdown was wonky because the inner hygrometer was reading way off, and my incubator hygrometer was pretty close to spot on for lockdown. Learning experience for sure. So hoping this accidental hatch will go better!

*I have been bidding on random auctions of breeds I want when they have several day timers on them (3-5 days left) and I usually get out bid. I did not this time. I bid on it when it had 5 days left... and... oops, I won! Yeah, my husband is giving that excuse some serious side-eye even though it was actually true.
lol.png

Ok, I am looking to put the eggs in the incubator Wed morning (10/28). So far I have collected 21 eggs, and am on track to be loading in 35 to 40 eggs at that time.

I got the incubator from my sister. It's nearly brand new and a Hovabator 1588, and that makes me happy after reading up on that model here at BYC.

Getting excited and ready to go. And after this hatch, looks like I may be doing another hatch of ducks, but probably only 10 or so, for my sister.

Candle again in a few days before tossing any you could have some late starters
wink.png
even small tempature fluctuations going to low could add a couple days to the hatch day. =} good luck
Ooh Are you hatching brahmas? Cochins? Duccles? Or some other fancy feather footed breed?
They're Pekin Bantam Chickens. I can see that the next 12 sleeps are going to go so slow :) I'd already taken the eggs out. Something to keep in mind if there's a next time, I guess. I can see, reading on this forum, that hatching is very addictive. I've been reading up on brooders and have ordered a heating pad for the Mumma Heating Pad brooder. It looks safer especially because I have lots of young kids.

So I "accidentally*" bid on some eggs on ebay, and no one outbid me! So I should have 6+ "Araucana" eggs arriving next week. I didn't do too good for the Halloween hatch along. 11 in lock down, 6 hatched, 5 DIS (shrinkwrapped :() and one that passed about 48 hrs after hatch. So I figured out that my humidity at lockdown was wonky because the inner hygrometer was reading way off, and my incubator hygrometer was pretty close to spot on for lockdown. Learning experience for sure. So hoping this accidental hatch will go better!

*I have been bidding on random auctions of breeds I want when they have several day timers on them (3-5 days left) and I usually get out bid. I did not this time. I bid on it when it had 5 days left... and... oops, I won! Yeah, my husband is giving that excuse some serious side-eye even though it was actually true. :lol:

Happy accidental hatching lol ;)

Ok, I am looking to put the eggs in the incubator Wed morning (10/28).  So far I have collected 21 eggs, and am on track to be loading in 35 to 40 eggs at that time.

I got the incubator from my sister.  It's nearly brand new and a Hovabator 1588, and that makes me happy after reading up on that model here at BYC.

Getting excited and ready to go.  And after this hatch, looks like I may be doing another hatch of ducks, but probably only 10 or so, for my sister.

Awesome sauce!
I wish my ducks would start up for fall ;) and that my fancier birds would recover from this molt already because it looks like a crime scene out there feathers EVERY WHERE lol. I use my brothers forced air cabinet bator and it runs like a champ ive incubated almost all of my birds in it=}

Last edited:
Awesome sauce!
I wish my ducks would start up for fall
wink.png
and that my fancier birds would recover from this molt already because it looks like a crime scene out there feathers EVERY WHERE lol. I use my brothers forced air cabinet bator and it runs like a champ ive incubated almost all of my birds in it=}

The ducks are doing ok. I was collecting 4 eggs a day, but now down to 2 (one went broody). Out of the 10 ducks she has, 5 are males. I've talked her into letting me do another hatch and her getting rid of the 4 extra males so she can try to keep 10 ducks but only have one male.

The RIR's I am getting about 4 eggs a day from about 9 hens (well one is a Chocolate Orpington. And she has about 10 Wyandotte's that have been molting for months it seems. Looks like some one has been having a constant pillow fight. But over the last week I have collected an egg twice from them, so they may be starting to get over that.

I just began collecting some eggs from my silkies, so a hatch date sometime in November. This will be my first hatch with just my own eggs and I'm pretty excited. Hoping for a few fuzzy babies to play with while the rest of my family watches parades and football.

Back
Top Bottom