Thanksgiving Hatchalong

So...I need some clarification since this is my first hatch. I set eggs at 9am on 10-23. Day 1 is 10-24 at 9am correct? Which would put me at lock down on Halloween and day 21 at 11-3, right? My eggs are bantam crosses so I was told to be prepared for hatching as early as day 18....? I really think I'm over thinking this:)

So...I need some clarification since this is my first hatch. I set eggs at 9am on 10-23. Day 1 is 10-24 at 9am correct? Which would put me at lock down on Halloween and day 21 at 11-3, right? My eggs are bantam crosses so I was told to be prepared for hatching as early as day 18....? I really think I'm over thinking this:)

Umm the day you set is day zero. Your setting tomorrow? Today is 10/22 ;) if they are bantam crosses expect hatch day 18, so lock down at least one day before that on day 17, I have had bantams hatch early. Also don't toss any non Hatchers till at least day 28 because they are crosses they could go 21 days and or be late. Excepting obvious leakers, seepers and blood rings (toss right away to avoid the nastiness)

I may have miscounted last night and appear to have 9 growing chicks. They're bantam chicken eggs. Very cute with fluffy feet.

Candle again in a few days before tossing any you could have some late starters ;) even small tempature fluctuations going to low could add a couple days to the hatch day. =} good luck
Ooh Are you hatching brahmas? Cochins? Duccles? Or some other fancy feather footed breed?

Last edited:
Umm the day you set is day zero. Your setting tomorrow? Today is 10/22 ;) if they are bantam crosses expect hatch day 18, so lock down at least one day before that on day 17, I have had bantams hatch early. Also don't toss any non Hatchers till at least day 28 because they are crosses they could go 21 days and or be late. Excepting obvious leakers, seepers and blood rings (toss right away to avoid the nastiness)
ha! 10-13 set. Geez I'm loosing it!

They are bantam/LF crosses. So should I still lockdown on day 17?

I never even bother with it unless I'm doing water fowl(mist daily sometimes twice) I run dry until lockdown and then I try to keep it about %40 depending on the weather. But I don't obsess over it, I hatch in a styro and I just fill one resivoir for chicken eggs and both for ducks/geese when I start lockdown and if if drys out before the hatching is done I fill it again. But that's me and it works for me in my kitchen and my bator at my elevation with my household humidity....

Back
Top Bottom