Thanksgiving vegetable side dish recipes needed.

Okay....here is mine. It is green beans but it is really, really great.

Three cans of cut green beans.
...drain the liquid off two cans and leave it in one. In the sauce pan you are going to cook the green beans in chop two pieces of bacon and a half of a large onion and fry in the sauce pan.....when bacon is done pour the three cans of green beans in the sauce pan. Add one tablespoon of dill seed. Cook for up to forty five minutes until the liquid is almost cooked out. Let it cool and put a lid on it and put in the fridge until the next day. (somehow leaving it overnight really makes a difference, plus on a big holiday it is nice to have things precooked that it just takes a few minutes to finish off the day of)

Reheat the green beans and mix a little flour and milk together...this will thicken and make a sauce. Add to the heated green beans. In a small dish in the microwave melt 1/4 # of velveeta (sorry...but it really tastes good in this dish)....pour the melted velveeta into the pan of green beans...let it all blend together but careful not to burn it. Season as needed with salt and pepper.

My family loves this and requests it over and over. Everywhere I have ever taken it people all want the recipe.

You are supposed to use the 1/4 # of velveeta but I never use quite that much. I don't like it too cheesy but some is good.

I personally don't like the regular green bean casserole with the soup and canned onion rings.

This is my ol stand by and all like this.

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

1 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. minced onion
1/2 c. grated mild cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

TOPPING:

1 1/2 to 2 c. Ritz crackers, crumbled
2 tbsp. butter

Mix broccoli, soup, and other casserole ingredients together. Pour into buttered dish. Mix crackers and butter together. Sprinkle on top.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
*** If I dont use Mayonaise I sub Chip dip.*****

Here are a few to add to the mix...

Broccoli Salad (served cold)
2-3 oz cooked bacon
1/2 cup red onion
1 bunch fresh broccoli
1 bag broccoli slaw
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup shredded chedder cheese
1 16oz. bottle cole slaw dressing
Mix and chill over night

corn casserole
1can undrained whole corn
1 can creamed corn
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs beaten
1 box jiffy corn bread mix
mix alll together in casserole dish, top with 1/2 stick butter cut into pats
bake 350 for 1 hour

This is from Paula Dean and it is GREAT:
Pineapple Casserole
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups grated sharp cheddar
2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained, and 6 tablespoons pineapple juice reserved
1 cup cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing pan
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a medium-size casserole dish with butter.

In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in the cheese. Add the drained pineapple chunks, and stir until ingredients are well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.

In another medium bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, melted butter, and reserved pineapple juice, stirring with a rubber spatula until evenly blended. Spread crumb mixture on top of pineapple mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Good luck with finding the perfect dish! Happy Thanksgiving!

Yay Chicks! :

Okay, this is not a cassarole, but it is a nice vegie side dish: I'm making a roasted brussel sprout salad. I halve the sprouts and toss them with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic vinegar, ground sea salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Then lay them out single layer in a baking pan and brown on each side in a 350 degree oven. I think it takes about 15 minutes each side, but it might be a little more. You want that nice browning as it carmalizes the vinegar. Then I just chill. It's a nice dish and you can make it up the day before and not take up oven space. I've had people who don't like brussel sprouts like this dish.

Yum! I'm gonna make this one.

Mine isn't a casserole and is similar to the above. It goes over well:
Bunch or two of fresh asparagus, washed and ends snapped off
Ground rosemary, I just grind dried rosemary with a mortar and pestle.
Good olive oil
Coarse sea salt

Grind about 1.5 to 2 tsps or to your liking of rosemary and mix with a quarter cup or so of olive oil
Pile the asparagus spears on a rimmed cookie sheet, all pointing the same way
Drizzle with the oil and rosemary
Spread out the pile evenly on the sheet
Roast at 350 for 20-25-30 minutes til done as you like, you can move them around at 15 minutes to see how they're doing.
Sprinkle with sea salt.​

OMG!!! My favorite side is now roasted and mashed curried sugar pumpkin.

It is soooooooo easy. Buy a sugar pumpkin (they are smaller and sweeter than halloween pumpkins) and roast for 2 hours.

Cut open the top, scrape out the flesh- leave the shell intact for a really nice serving dish/display.

Seperate out the seeds from the flesh- (a thanksgiving treat for my chicks!)

Mix pumpkin flesh with butter, salt, pepper and curry powder. (I use ~1 teaspoon)

Stuff mixture back into the shell- viola!!!!

Back
Top Bottom