Thats a lot of rats.....

MVchickens

Songster
10 Years
Dec 8, 2010
Martha's Vineyard MA
I never realized how bad my rat problem was until now.... Over the past few weeks I have been seeing more and more burrows (in the recently tilled garden, in the compost pile, under the duck hut, in the woods.... etc) I Know they have access to water and habitat to live in but I don't understand were they are feeding. There is no feed spillage, I don't keep extra feed around, food is in secure coop, (no way in ask the raccoons that tore the screen of my windows only to get to hardware cloth) and the compost pile has only vegetable scraps thrown in there bout once a week. This evening around 3 I tied 4 different blocks of "One Last Bite II" rat poison in 4 different locations (woods, garden, compost, backside of coop). When I returned to shut the pop door at 5, two of the four blocks had already been devoured. when I went out there 10 minutes ago the other two were gone, also got two rats with the air pistol. Could the couple acre pond that the coop is 50yards away from be supporting this massive number of rats? Whats the best way to get rid of them ALL? Have any tips or tricks to deal with rats?

Sound similar to my rat problem a while back. I put out rat poison and over the next week I found 13 dead rats! A pair had moved in and have a couple of litters. Rats live wild out in the woods. The smell of chicken/animal feeds lures them in. It happens to everyone sooner or later.
old.gif

You want to keep a steady supply of rat poison out there for two weeks. Most of the rat poisons on the market are blood thinners and it takes a while for them to internally hemorrhage. Keep in mind you don't know if you are dealing with one or a family. It sounds like a bunch. Also rat poison was just regulated by the new big government, try to find some one that has the real deal. Most of your feed stores will. Box stores will not as well as hardware stores. There is new regulation on how much is being sold at a time and if there are animal/ kid proof containers. Just thought you should know

Honestly I try my very VERY hardest not to kill anything since I believe in the whole "each living thing is a living breathing feeling creature" thing, but I know everyone doesnt think like that. Honestly I recommend snap traps since they are humane & re usable. I know its gross to have to dispose of the bodies, but at least they didnt die in excruciating pain that the poisons cause. If your problem is that bad I would go to your local Home Depot or Lowes or whatever stores you have where your are located & buy 5-10 rat sized snap traps. Place them in popular areas where the rats commonly walk through, like the areas where you put the poison.

I agree that distroying them would be the best method , but a rat's system can adjust to poisen very rapidly .Most garbage dumps found this out years ago and had to change the rat poisen almost weekly , other wise it was almost like a food sourse .We have what is called "" Rodent Odor Free "" or ""JI's Mouse Deodorizer "" here that someone on a different forum found out was being used by farmers to keep rodents out of ther tractors / trucks and other farm implements when they weren't in use , also RV dealers use this as well .It is harmless to humans and other animals but rats and mice find the smell repulsive ! It leaves them dizzy and unable to walk so they leave the area for up to six months .Around here it costs about twenty bucks for a pack from one of the two above named brands .In case you are looking at a alternative method.

I don't think I have a rat problem, but I like to be prepared so I googled both of those and I can't find them anywhere. Can you tell us where you buy them from??

Thanks much, Tracy in WA

Quote:

Last year a rat family moved into the shed. I thought for awhile there I'd have to burn it, smelled so bad within a month. After trapping repeatedly, emptying and scrubbing and bleaching the interior, throwing all sorts of things away (they even chewed all the gas cans), I dusted the interior with a pint more or less of ground cinnamon from the bulk place, less than $5. It smelled better and they didn't come back into the shed. I renewed it a few months ago. Now, I did change storage and feeding practices, but I know the rats are still around in the woods and brush.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom