The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the eggs I have due to hatch this weekend I tried something new. Let me know if any of y'all have done this.

1.I did the ring test on all the eggs. 16 eggs. "13 hens" "3 roos"
2. I ran at a lower temp for the first 3 days. Because I read this will hatch more hens:confused:
3. I really didn't plan this one, but we will be having thunderstorm's all weekend. I was told that a thunderstorm can kill chicks or make them turn in the eggs at hatch. I have no clue on this, so I guess we will see
:caf:pop

Ring test, is that where you tie a ring to a string and see how it sways over the egg? What determines males and females with that?

I've been doing old wives' tale tests on all of my chicks for a couple years now and have been collecting the data on an article here. I've done a similar test to what I described above, but with a needle and thread rather than a ring on a string, though I've heard of it using either. It's been fun, and pretty interesting watching as each test gradually approaches a 50-50 success rate the more chicks I test. :p All the info is here, for anyone who's interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-experiment-in-chick-sexing-methods.72520/

Ring test, is that where you tie a ring to a string and see how it sways over the egg? What determines males and females with that?

I've been doing old wives' tale tests on all of my chicks for a couple years now and have been collecting the data on an article here. I've done a similar test to what I described above, but with a needle and thread rather than a ring on a string, though I've heard of it using either. It's been fun, and pretty interesting watching as each test gradually approaches a 50-50 success rate the more chicks I test. :p All the info is here, for anyone who's interested: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-experiment-in-chick-sexing-methods.72520/

Very cool! I'm going to cjeck it out, thanks!

50-50 is the same as a coin toss. It is still fun though!

Yes, I used my wedding ring, you put it on a string and holed it over each egg, if it goes in a circle it means hen side to side means roos. I have done this with live chicks and it was pretty spot on.

50-50 is the same as a coin toss. It is still fun though!

That's what I'm expecting overall, once I get more chicks tested. Currently, there's a minimum of 5 chicks I've tested for each test (only because I added a new one this year; the next lowest is 16, I believe). Might take me a bit to get good numbers on all of them. Still, more of an excuse to keep hatching or buying chicks, right? :p

Yes, I used my wedding ring, you put it on a string and holed it over each egg, if it goes in a circle it means hen side to side means roos. I have done this with live chicks and it was pretty spot on.

Yup, that's exactly the same as my needle and thread method, other than using a needle rather than a ring! :) It's been one of the more accurate tests so far, but still only has correctly predicted 65% of the straight run chicks I've tested with it. It did accurately determine that both of the sexed pullets I got last year were pullets, though. :p

Pretty sure I've got 2 cockerels and 1 pullet out of the trio of Bresse I hatched on the 21st. Not 100% but by comb growth that would be my guess. So if my Favorelles are correctly sexed and Swedish flower hen stays looking like a girl, I will have 9 pullets/hens and then whatever I hatch out of the possible 6 left in the incubator. So, I will probably be eating one of the Bresse but will check to see if anyone needs one before I do since they are so rare. Unless I happen to hatch out 3 or more pullets from this group one rooster should cover them.

I tried the ring sexing method on four silkie chicks just for fun a little less than a week ago. According to it I should have 3 boys and 1 girl in that group....... I hope I don't end up with 3 roos. :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm down to 7 live eggs for the hatch-a-long (I had 8 but one quit on day 10). The remaining 7 were looking great today (lots of nice veins and movement). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom