The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have experience hatching geese? I ordered goose eggs but need to know what humidity, temp, turning, etc I need.
I hatched geese last year and it is pretty much the same as duck eggs. 99.5 Deg @ 60% to 70% humidity and turning at least three times a day. Goose eggs incubate for 33 to 36 days so quite turning at day 31 or 32 drop the temp to 98.5 deg and raise humidity to 85%. That should do it.

I hatched geese last year and it is pretty much the same as duck eggs. 99.5 Deg @ 60% to 70% humidity and turning at least three times a day. Goose eggs incubate for 33 to 36 days so quite turning at day 31 or 32 drop the temp to 98.5 deg and raise humidity to 85%. That should do it.

Thanks so much! Do you maintain 60% humidity throughout? If so this explains why my duck eggs didn't hatch.

Anybody have experience hatching geese? I ordered goose eggs but need to know what humidity, temp, turning, etc I need.

You are brave! I was not, so I searched everywhere and just secured my first pair of Pilgrim Goslings when they hatch. Hopefully, I'll have them by Easter. I can't tell you how excited I am to get my hands on them, lol!
wee.gif

I'm so in and excited to join everyone!!

frow.gif
Welcome KrazyKritters!!
last night I locked down my R-com looking forward to some more new chicks
Awesome! I have some hatching now! White faced black spanish, brahma, CrestedCreamLegbar and serama!
you have to clean and watch the area, sorta like a babys butt until after first heat, then it says with the heat and the bigger area it pushes it out, sometimes two heats, but most waith 4 weeks after first heat and Puberty is over to spay and if its still an issue to do a TUCK surgery along with spay. I priced today $500-600 for spay and tuck, they decided they still want the puppy but I wont offer the health guarantee and we will be voiding the contract and we will lower the price, what to lower it to is an issue as I dont know how much to lower it. Hubs said lower the cost of the tuck, but I got a spay tuck price, I guess I should call back tomorrow but I hate bothering the vet all the time! My hubs was looking forward to keeping her, but I just cant we have just lost the old dalmatain and I am still heartbroken......
This is the little sweetie pie in question......

had not ever had a pup with this condition and was a tech at a great vet hospital. she covered the cost of the tuck, we covered the cost of the spay $250.00 and paid 800.00 on a pet contract. Her siblings were being sold at 1,500-2,000.00. So id say she came down quite a bit...
We love her and are so glad to be past all that. Very painful for them!

Off topic but oh my god it is FREEEEEEEEEZING outside...

ep.gif

I am hopelessly behind. Every time I log on, another 15 pages has been added!
barnie.gif
th.gif
Dont Worry ThaiDye! Ron will have daily updates soon! just keep a look for them or do an advanced search for his posts!

Happy Happy Happy Friday !!!
Good morning to you all!!
I hope everyone is staying warm in all this freezing cold weather across the states. It has been a crazy year weather wise here in middle Ga. In the teens and 20's a few days a week then a couple days later in the 70's !! Plants are starting to bloom then,bam froze agian! I do not know how some of you guys take it up north! I wonder if all this crazy weather has anything to do with the polar shift that is going on?
Stay safe, stay warm , and have a good one!
bun.gif
FRIDAY!!! plants blooming???????????????? arhhhhhhrrrrrggggggg

Mornin Mich

I'll be joining in, too! I just had my very first successful incubation, so I can't wait to try again. I plan on saving up about a weeks worth of my 3 Easter Egger hens' eggs for this hatch, so I should have about 20 eggs to set.
ya.gif

I'm doing a couple test hatches to check fertility of our flock. This first hatch is scheduled to hatch out on Tuesday. Many clears and then had the unexpected - someone unplugged the 'bator and had a serious temp drop before I caught it. So, lost all but about 5. They looked good a few days ago. I'll be candling them right before lockdown to double check.

Second test hatch will go in probably on Thursday morning, maybe Weds evening. I'm collecting now for this one. Hoping for higher fertile rates, but gonna stuff that 'bator full to try to maximize hatching. The first test hatch I had some more eggs I coulda set, but didn't and I'm kinda kicking myself about it. Trying to convince the hubs that I need a second 'bator - we'll see if he gets on board.

Pretty excited for the Easter hatch though. By then the temps will maybe be tolerable and the girls might be laying more. If it weren't for a couple broodies I have right now, I'd have nothing to hatch because they would freeze before I got them collected. The broodies sit on about 2/3 of the eggs laid each day (the ones laid in the favorite box, which is the fav for laying as well as the fav for brooding) and I put one of my broodiest with my purebred breeding group in a separate pen to keep their eggs from freezing before I get to them. She doesn't lay often and her shells are darker so it's easy to tell if she does.

Gotta prep the brooder for next week's hatch over the weekend. Not even sure where all the pieces for it are. Haven't used it since July. Thank goodness for several days off work.

I'm doing a couple test hatches to check fertility of our flock. This first hatch is scheduled to hatch out on Tuesday. Many clears and then had the unexpected - someone unplugged the 'bator and had a serious temp drop before I caught it. So, lost all but about 5. They looked good a few days ago. I'll be candling them right before lockdown to double check.

Second test hatch will go in probably on Thursday morning, maybe Weds evening. I'm collecting now for this one. Hoping for higher fertile rates, but gonna stuff that 'bator full to try to maximize hatching. The first test hatch I had some more eggs I coulda set, but didn't and I'm kinda kicking myself about it. Trying to convince the hubs that I need a second 'bator - we'll see if he gets on board.

Pretty excited for the Easter hatch though. By then the temps will maybe be tolerable and the girls might be laying more. If it weren't for a couple broodies I have right now, I'd have nothing to hatch because they would freeze before I got them collected. The broodies sit on about 2/3 of the eggs laid each day (the ones laid in the favorite box, which is the fav for laying as well as the fav for brooding) and I put one of my broodiest with my purebred breeding group in a separate pen to keep their eggs from freezing before I get to them. She doesn't lay often and her shells are darker so it's easy to tell if she does.

Gotta prep the brooder for next week's hatch over the weekend. Not even sure where all the pieces for it are. Haven't used it since July. Thank goodness for several days off work.
You better get that brooder ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom