The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the chick of mine who's putting her feet over her head and her head going down, how much poly vi sol should I be giving her a day?

Also, I came across a post here on BYC about "crazy chick disease". Looks like what's going on with my chick, the only difference being that she can't stand because she's bicycling her legs up and back, instead of walking backwards like what I saw in the video.

Could this be what's wrong with her???

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...y-and-crazy-chick-disease-photos-added-post-5
I don't know, they talk about "bouts" with this, like they act that, then don't. Yours seems to be all the time. Either way the treatment seems to be basically the same. Here is a treatment for wry neck that includes Vit. E, Selenium, and electrolytes. Sounds like it would contain everything for treating either one: http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/

My Official End Count/ Easter HAL Results:
Set 44, - 8 taken out due to clears early on, = 36
36 - 5 more due to blood rings = 31 that went into Lockdown
19 hatched in all...( the rest were dead in shell and 2 partially undeveloped chicks)
hit.gif

So I don't know if you count 19 out of 44, or 19 out of 31 at Lockdown.
I'll take pics tomorrow when I put the last 3, who are less than 24 hrs old, into the brooder with the rest.
Lisa

Last edited:
Im on day 23 and have 10 more eggs tht havnt hatched. All hatched fri and sat except one tht hatched ths morning. Should I candle thm and see or wait it out for anothr day or so? I dont hear chirping or see egg movement

We like to change the contests slightly every year to keep it from getting boring. We do keep the most popular contests every year and the contests that we enjoy watching. (It's our fun while we do this)

With that said, what contests do you love? Any contest ideas you haven't seen that you would like to?

If you'd like to reply privately, please PM me, Sally or Mike.

I love the beautiful rooster contest, but how about a change. I think I mentioned this somewhere along the line. There have to be other funny, odd, dorky, looking cockerels in their teen times per say. lol..I have my first. I thought that by now, he would be getting more handsome, but nooo..he has two sickle feathers starting on that tail, and then there are the ones below it. I can't even describe how that part of him looks. Then, there's those eyes! Big Round Eyes! They don't come close to fitting the size of his head! This is a HRIR cockerel. He is getting big, his feet are getting big, his head needs to get bigger, and those tail feathers surely will catch up to all of the other parts of him!
fl.gif
So, a funny contest, who has the most interesting looking cockerel out there?

Gilly the Guinea died today
hit.gif
I don't know how or why...I found her dead under the ecoglow.

The one I was keeping in my bra is still kickin...literally. I got some poly-vi-sol this morning and gave her a drop, and have periodically given her a drop or two of molasses water. I have her legs hobbled, and I made a neck brace out of Vetrap. She looks pathetic, but I didn't know what else to do. She won't eat or drink on her own, because she can't. So I have to hand feed her and water her, and I don't know how much I should be giving her.

The Silkie/Polish chick that had a weird bony mass on its neck is on its way to Heaven. When I got back from the store with the poly-vi-sol, he was barely moving and breathing. I took his toe braces off, and his hobble, fed him some save a chick and vitamin, and put him back in the incubator to keep warm. That was 4 hours ago, and he's still breathing, but barely. I felt his neck, and realize its shaped like an "S". That was the bony growth I felt...part of the "S".

That's all the sad news. Now for the good news.
The rest of my chickies are doing great! Here's the pics I promised
big_smile.png

Silkie/Polish mixes, EE's, Lav Orp x EE, Maran mixes, cochin mixes

Seramas, Mille Fleurs, Silkie, Silkie/Polish crosses

These are all from my own flock of Easter Egger roo over Barred Rock and/or Commercial Black hens (CB's are BR mixed with unknown breed from hatchery). How in the WORLD did they turn out looking so different from each other????? Some look like EE's, some look like BR's, some are solid yellow, one is yellow with black spots, some are brownish, one is solid black.
hu.gif

I am sorry for the sorry news, but am loving the happy news!!

Final Count for me and the singing incubator from hell: 3 chicks (out of 10 set)

Tiny little bantams. One hatched on it's own on Sunday, and I helped the other two out (a lot) they are pets though, and look good so lets hope they are really well and the bator was the issue!

What kind of chicks do you think these are? I am told parents are: Blue & Mille Fleur rooster over a blue hen, a barred hen and a few Mille Fluer / Calico hens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom