The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone burned a hole almost all the way through my styrobator. :banghead: I am not a happy person! Luckily I have a can of spray foam. Just waiting for it to cure now.
jHave done that myself, when I ran out of those cylindrical bulbs that used to be used in aquarium hoods. Called it "improved ventilation."

Would this qualify for the Cutest baby fowl pic contest?!
wink.png
LOL

kidding of course
Pretty cute!

Quote:Oh no! That's a bummer, how'd that happen?

Good thing you have the can of foam handy!
Someone burned a hole almost all the way through my styrobator. :banghead: I am not a happy person! Luckily I have a can of spray foam. Just waiting for it to cure now.
jHave done that myself, when I ran out of those cylindrical bulbs that used to be used in aquarium hoods. Called it "improved ventilation."
I really have no idea what happened or who did it. It's been moved to what's now my hatching room. It used to be my room. I've had nothing but successful hatches in that room. I know the drafts and how crazy high the humidity is.

OK, I am so happy to be here for this Easter HAL. Easter has always been a trying time for me. As a kid, I hated having to get all dressed up and not being able to get dirty for most of a whole day. It is STILL a challenge for me, but I have joined this HAL with the expectation that it will help keep me on my toes should other tribulations fail.

Yesterday I started collecting eggs. My hens have modestly shared with me, and if not abundantly, the eggs are still a blessing - and through grace. My hens have been laying in COLD temperatures, and they have to beat (literally) a path through the snow to get to their nesting box. I can only say WOW and THANK YOU. Just makes my Easter.

There has been some talk on this thread about the air cell and correct humidities to use. I live at a high dry altitude, and it is usual for the humidity in my house to run in the 20s or lower. Eggs collected and stored for two weeks have tended to have large air cells by the time I set them, so now I store them at cool temperatures AND loosely wrapped in a plastic bag. I haven't incubated enough eggs to say how much, if any, difference this has made, but it is a point to consider as you are gathering and storing eggs. I need to say that my styrofoam incubator seems to breathe and lose humidity pretty fast; my first few hatches in it were plagued with shrink wraps. The Coolerbator is much more consistent about maintaining a humidity. I made a small a small styrofoam hatcher bator lined with foil bubble wrap; it holds the temperature wonderfully, but even with a water tray almost the size of the entire bottom, it is hard to get its humidity up to 65-70% and keep it there. I have considered misting, but have reservations about doing this around light bulbs. Am thinking. Good luck never ends.

OK, I am so happy to be here for this Easter HAL. Easter has always been a trying time for me. As a kid, I hated having to get all dressed up and not being able to get dirty for most of a whole day. It is STILL a challenge for me, but I have joined this HAL with the expectation that it will help keep me on my toes should other tribulations fail.

Yesterday I started collecting eggs. My hens have modestly shared with me, and if not abundantly, the eggs are still a blessing - and through grace. My hens have been laying in COLD temperatures, and they have to beat (literally) a path through the snow to get to their nesting box. I can only say WOW and THANK YOU. Just makes my Easter.

There has been some talk on this thread about the air cell and correct humidities to use. I live at a high dry altitude, and it is usual for the humidity in my house to run in the 20s or lower. Eggs collected and stored for two weeks have tended to have large air cells by the time I set them, so now I store them at cool temperatures AND loosely wrapped in a plastic bag. I haven't incubated enough eggs to say how much, if any, difference this has made, but it is a point to consider as you are gathering and storing eggs. I need to say that my styrofoam incubator seems to breathe and lose humidity pretty fast; my first few hatches in it were plagued with shrink wraps. The Coolerbator is much more consistent about maintaining a humidity. I made a small a small styrofoam hatcher bator lined with foil bubble wrap; it holds the temperature wonderfully, but even with a water tray almost the size of the entire bottom, it is hard to get its humidity up to 65-70% and keep it there. I have considered misting, but have reservations about doing this around light bulbs. Am thinking. Good luck never ends.

any chance you could put your incubator in a small room with a humidifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom