The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: My lone Delaware chick has been accepted by his older hatch mates with only minimal eye and toe pecking!

This is the best group of chicks I've ever had - they rarely make anything other than happy noises, they aren't fighting, no pasty butt so far, they love the EcoGlow, and they're obviously very inclusive. Lol. Oh and they don't fuss when I put them in the box while I change the paper towels in the brooder (bathtub). And get this -
If I tap on the ground, they all come running to my finger!
Yay!
wee.gif

So, I think I have Seramas coming in the mail today. They still count for the Hal if I get them in today right?
Yep, get them in today!

Quote: Sometimes veining development can look like a blood ring. I never remove any eggs until at least Day 10. I've had a few surprise me that looked like blood rings, but developed and hatched.

That is something I have wondered about. All Icelandic chickens now are descended from a small flock that was on an isolated island. The breed was thought to be lost before that flock was found, and since then conservation efforts have been made to expand the numbers. Icees can't be bred out with other breeds because of their unique bloodlines and how long they were isolated with the Vikings. It is good to know that there are others breeds having this same issue, though, and not just my birds. Thank you.
All rare breeds have issues of some sort. I have never had any problem hatching Icelandics though, they are sturdy little buggers.

I keep getting asked by my hubby and roommate what happens if all 40 eggs hatch. I have to keep telling them

1) I set 48 eggs
b) Haven't you ever heard "Don't count your chickens before they've hatched"

but I am really only one chicken short of the 20 chicken limit I set for myself, but some of those are silkies and frizzles, so they don't really count as a full "one," do they?!
Chicks don't count either, so you're safe. My DH said when he saw the incubator, "we have too many chickens, so lets make more. Sounds logical." This was me ----->
whistling.gif

I keep getting asked by my hubby and roommate what happens if all 40 eggs hatch. I have to keep telling them

1) I set 48 eggs
b) Haven't you ever heard "Don't count your chickens before they've hatched"

but I am really only one chicken short of the 20 chicken limit I set for myself, but some of those are silkies and frizzles, so they don't really count as a full "one," do they?!
Bantams only count as 1/2, tops.

Remember, if they're roosters or they aren't laying they don't count.
wink.png
Broody hens and chicks don't count either.
jumpy.gif
And don't forget to subtract 10% for future loss due to predators, etc.
hide.gif

Sometimes veining development can look like a blood ring. I never remove any eggs until at least Day 10. I've had a few surprise me that looked like blood rings, but developed and hatched. All rare breeds have issues of some sort. I have never had any problem hatching Icelandics though, they are sturdy little buggers. Chicks don't count either, so you're safe. My DH said when he saw the incubator, "we have too many chickens, so lets make more. Sounds logical." This was me ----->
whistling.gif
That's why I'm baffled that my hatches have gone so badly. I think Icelandics are allergic to me or something, lol! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom