The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work with Icelandics. I do usually have good start rates with incubation, but I tend to lose quite a few or all of the embryos before lockdown. To my knowledge, however, I am the only one who has this problem, so I think it is me, and not the birds. I have had mutt eggs sired by my roos hatch very well and be totally healthy.
It might not just be you, Im sure others within that breed could be experiencing the same thing and just not mentioning it. I work with Cream Legbars and some people within this breed report the same findings, eggs develop well until about day 18 then they quit, and also mutt eggs sired by the Cream Legbar hatching at fantastic rates. It could be maybe the birds in these breeds are too closely related even though there are a few different blood lines. Mind you the majority have great hatch rates. It could be the unknown close relation that is the issue though Im not familiar with Icelandics.

Hi just A check in post. I have hatched 17 copper maran eggs and so far 2 cuckoo silkie eggs have hatched. Today is hatch day for silkies so hoping for more. So far 19 total.

It might not just be you, Im sure others within that breed could be experiencing the same thing and just not mentioning it. I work with Cream Legbars and some people within this breed report the same findings, eggs develop well until about day 18 then they quit, and also mutt eggs sired by the Cream Legbar hatching at fantastic rates. It could be maybe the birds in these breeds are too closely related even though there are a few different blood lines. Mind you the majority have great hatch rates. It could be the unknown close relation that is the issue though Im not familiar with Icelandics.

That is something I have wondered about. All Icelandic chickens now are descended from a small flock that was on an isolated island. The breed was thought to be lost before that flock was found, and since then conservation efforts have been made to expand the numbers. Icees can't be bred out with other breeds because of their unique bloodlines and how long they were isolated with the Vikings. It is good to know that there are others breeds having this same issue, though, and not just my birds. Thank you.

It's pretty slow in here right now..soo....for your entertainment...thought this was fuuny...hope you saw the movie to understand, and maybe some of you are young and fragile, but, I'm not young and fragile, so got a kick out of it!

A couple years ago, I had some nice Houdans that we got as chicks from Ideal. Of course, I'm not sure where they get them....

I would get some again if i could get the cool european ones with the moose antler combs. the american ones have too much dingbatty polish in them. i got mine originally from cackle.

I candled my little OEGB's eggs last night since they're the only white ones in there and all are developing! YAY! This is the first time I've tried hatching any of hers. I do dry incubation. Will that be ok for the tiny little eggs? I don't want to make the air cells too big in them. I'm hoping for pure OEGB babies. I have 3 roos out there. One OEGB, one lavender ameraucana and one black copper marans. We'll see what color the babies legs are and if they have feathers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom