The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! Our first one just hatched! And it's out of one of the "mystery" eggs.a few of the eggs we decided to put in looked like guinea eggs, but didn't seem as pointy as they were last year, but we're definitely still different looking than the chicken eggs. We are curious if they were guinea/chicken hybrid, or just strange looking chicken eggs, or if they were pure guinea eggs. Since it hatched out today, I assume that rules out pure guinea since those take 28 days. Will have to wait until it dries out to see it better. Here's a poor picture, lol, but you can kind of see the egg it came out of.

Juni, I bought a small personal atomizer/humidifier from Amazon that I like a lot. It's a Deneve brand, and it does a great job of fogging. I had thought to do as some people on BYC suggested when I had trouble raising the humidity in my Styrobator. My plan was to loosely drape one of those light Mylar "Emergency Blankets" over the Bator and put this little humidifier under it next to the incubator. (Haven't tried it yet as my new Coolerbator does not have that problem.). In any event, I wanted to tell you about the Deneve because it has some nice features that are good for this kind of use. It can stay ON for 10 hours (many of the small humidifiers can't stay ON for very long), you can put the wand in a stable non-tippable vessel of your choice, and it has both replaceable wicks and a warranty. Might be worth a look for you (I looked at a LOT). Wish I could tell you how my plan worked out, but it's still on back burner. Good luck with your hatch. Laurie in Berthoud
I searched on Amazon but couldn't find it. Can you share a link so I can look it up for next time.
Thanks!

Crap! Just remembered I was gonna draw faces on mine too! Oh well, next batch :D

Congrats on the baby!

Thanks...I'm loving being a chicken Nanny.
If I'd thought of it I'd have drawn Easter stuff before they were set. I only drew one before lock down. Almost all have a smiley face...my way of marking them as candled and having movement in 3/24/15...it's a fun canvas. ;)

Okay, so I googled It, apparently the calico is a cull of the Mille fleur...too much white...

I think they're beautiful...

I bred This pair, one of the chicks I shared earlier is from them, and the three I have in the incubator...

I'm pretty sure its just a color...I wanted to see what I'd get by breeding these two...

The first hatch, I got the eggs mixed up and lost track of which was which... The Ones in the incubator now are separated...there's 3...
thank you for your explanation and your patience. I will try to google stuff too before bothering everyone. If I don't get an explanation I understand I will then ask via post. Again thank you

I have three HAL Serama chicks! I went ahead and put them in the brooder because I don't expect anymore to hatch until tomorrow and Saturday. My HAL eggs won't be done until Saturday or Sunday. Still waiting on some more Seramas, Guineas and ducks. 2 ducks are pipped and two more Seramas are pipped.
big_smile.png

The ducks and the 3 Seramas that hatched were started under hens and I just put them in the incubator a few days ago.

The hen that was on these two duck eggs had rolled them out of her nest and continued sitting only on the third duck egg. Only after I noticed that by night time she still hadn't rolled the eggs back in did I realize she had no intention of taking them back. I brought them inside, they were stone cold, and candled them. They had draw down but no movement. I put them in the incubator and candled them after they got warmed up and they were moving all around.
Moral....don't give up on eggs that have gone through a lengthy cooling!

I have heard, that when incubating difficult species of parrots, if you can let the birds brood the first week or two before you have to incubate, the success is much higher. I personally have found it to be true.

Oh, and out of the 18 shipped bantam Ameraucana eggs, I believe they are all dead. I still have two in the incubator that were the last to die... just in case....

He looks like a houdan to me.

Well in my guesstimation he is probably Houdan and something crossed. He has the look of a Houdan but the crest doesn't look right. I like the looks of him though.

On another note one if your green eggs have hatched. Is that an Icecreambar?

thank you for your explanation and your patience. I will try to google stuff too before bothering everyone. If I don't get an explanation I understand I will then ask via post. Again thank you

No bother at all...I'm learning too...thanks to your questions I found out there's a couple of calico threads here... And I didn't know about the mille fleur... Now I do... Asking questions and discussion is what these forums are all about... I learn something, you learn something...an exchange of thoughts and ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom