The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three HAL Serama chicks! I went ahead and put them in the brooder because I don't expect anymore to hatch until tomorrow and Saturday. My HAL eggs won't be done until Saturday or Sunday. Still waiting on some more Seramas, Guineas and ducks. 2 ducks are pipped and two more Seramas are pipped.
big_smile.png

The ducks and the 3 Seramas that hatched were started under hens and I just put them in the incubator a few days ago.

The hen that was on these two duck eggs had rolled them out of her nest and continued sitting only on the third duck egg. Only after I noticed that by night time she still hadn't rolled the eggs back in did I realize she had no intention of taking them back. I brought them inside, they were stone cold, and candled them. They had draw down but no movement. I put them in the incubator and candled them after they got warmed up and they were moving all around.
Moral....don't give up on eggs that have gone through a lengthy cooling!

I have heard, that when incubating difficult species of parrots, if you can let the birds brood the first week or two before you have to incubate, the success is much higher. I personally have found it to be true.

Oh, and out of the 18 shipped bantam Ameraucana eggs, I believe they are all dead. I still have two in the incubator that were the last to die... just in case....

I have to ask, where did you get the plush giraffe. I have a child that needs a new one and I can't seem to find one here.

Well in my guesstimation he is probably Houdan and something crossed. He has the look of a Houdan but the crest doesn't look right. I like the looks of him though.

On another note one if your green eggs have hatched. Is that an Icecreambar?

I have both blue and splash Isbars in the pen with our legbars. They are most likely ice cream bars. However I have a wheaten Marans and Blue copper Marans cocks that fly really well and are sneaky. They could be F1 olive eggers

i kept my humidity at 50 until lockdown...and two hydrometers say something different. one 60, another 75...is this ok? im worried the babies will drown...
Should be okay as long as you don't have any condensation.

My haych is done two days early. 7 hatched 6 made it out of the hatcher. The one hatched and then passed.

6 coturnix Quail
Congrats!

I'm so nervous. Incubating has never worked out for me, yet I keep trying... I can see them moving in the egg this time though, we'll see!
fl.gif

The pen #4 chicks are mostly dark colors so far. I hope they hatch!!!! The shipped eggs I bought were a total bust. So...what did I do? I ordered more!
idunno.gif
haha! i may do the same...im just worried that it was the distance that made them detatch. i did have one detatched that started for a day and got a blood spot after

could you PM some pics of pen 4 chicks? im so excited!

I have to ask, where did you get the plush giraffe. I have a child that needs a new one and I can't seem to find one here.

Awww... I like to raid Walmart and Target right after Easter for the little stuffed animals that are on sale. (For my birds:). So, I think I got the giraffe at one of those two stores. Possibly Kmart. If I see another I'll let you know!

Have 14 eggs in lockdown and 2 are moving now and then. The anticipation is killing me!! The 2 that are moving Marans we had shipped. Can't wait and hoping we have a successful hatch! This is our first ever!!

OOHH TJ i just looked and my pen 4 egg is rocking! YAY

i have a ton of activity now...so i hope i have a pip around midnight.
ya.gif

Since you'll be up all night watching for that egg to pip, I'll pm you some pics a little later. It's early for me, but have to go take care of horses first. And right now, I think I'll put some eggs on the Auction thread cause I'm getting over run!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom