The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. UGLYFOOT

UGLYFOOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    OKAY that is some funny stuff there!

2. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Looks like today is hatch day.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. UGLYFOOT

UGLYFOOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    7 days for my runner eggs and we had movement on one and veins on another. I will report on day 14 which is saturday

4. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    [​IMG]

Oooohhhkay.

GOOD Morning!

I am in. My newly formed plan (and likely unobtainable plan, at that!) Is to hatch EVERYTHING I want to keep for the year. This will be an extreme challenge to my planning skills and somewhat of an engineering feat... but I am going for it. Worst case scenario - I will be sitting in the corner in my incubator/hatching room, hiding under a chair, as chicks fly about causing chaos when I have no room for them all.
    I will also need to gently persuade my turkeys, peahens, pheasants and quail to all start laying just a tad earlier... any suggestions :lol:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  5. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia

My chicks are outside, but slightly overcrowded. To encourage early laying add heat and light.

6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    You will do fine!

Set up a series of grow out pens and move the hatched chick through them. The last place they go is into your flock at 16 weeks old.

Mine start in rubbermaid tubs, move to a brooder in the garage and then into a larger pen. When they make it to 16 weeks old or so then they move in with the flock or into breeding pens. You just have to time hatches so that they move through the system you set up.

I sell some of them and cockerels are processed.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you KNOW I am jealous!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] he will too!

loveeeeeee [​IMG]

lol little?

8. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    :confused:

:lau :lau
    Bwhahaha! Perfect response! :yuckyuck

:yesss: sounds awesome! Go for it.

Mornin dear! :hugs

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OK y'all force me to do this, I know you had fun and I had been there done it too at one time, we all know how I love to have fun too, HOWEVER........

NOTICE:
    From this post on, all intentional one post comments will be disqualified from any random posting contests.

I pray you all understand the reasoning, thank you for your cooperation and for not calling me a party pooper. Ok you can call me any names you wish AS LONG as they are family friendly. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. Sahwithchicks

Sahwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Central FL
    What??! You mean crouching in each species pen, trying to imitate their egg song won't work? Darn it all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by