The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Not sure if anyone will remember I was worried about my hen..she's ok! I was quite worried about her yesterday. Had egg shell and the white fall out, and she was just standing around fluffed up. I got all of that off of her, and now she is acting just fine. Preening on the back porch step with two others. I think she was just stressed to have something hanging there that she couldn't get off!

I'm glad she's okay!
woot.gif

Thinking of setting some Peafowl, Pheasant or quail eggs for the Easter hatch along does anyone have any advice on them? I have never had Peafowl or Pheasants but have had quail. are Pheasants and Peafowl much different from turkeys?

Pheasant chicks are more nervous and prone to flying then turkeys, from what I hear, and Peafowl are said to be more delicate, so watch that they don't get any diseases. I haven't kept either, but this is what I have heard.

It sounds like fun though! I think its a good idea!
thumbsup.gif

I loved my peafowl great to hatch, but when they become very loud and honky like or something I cant explain, maybe someone has a video of their sounds.. It actually annoyed me the male would not shut up when I was outside and it drove me insane and he did it at night as well!!!

Beautiful birds! (though I can certainly believe they are loud!)
It is ok.. I lost another chicken today and it is my birthday so It is saddening since it was one of my only layers right now

I'm so sorry to hear that.

I hope you had a good birthday other then that though!

Last edited:

You can see the difference in egg shell colors I'm getting. In this clutch of 122 eggs, only 18% were the darker brown, and that brown isn't even on the BCM chart. The lighter brown is the color all the eggs were from my Gen 0 layers.

I think I am going to start keeping eggs 14 days and fresher for the next hatch, in an attempt to get a higher ratio of darker eggs in the bator.

Oh, and no doubt @Sally Sunshine , has a whack of links for this, but this is the first time I've done it and I thought the process was usefull;

Started with 122 eggs, needing 96:

• Went through all and removed every ground egg...don't know why I have been putting them aside for hatching anyway
  • Went through all and set aside for hatching every dark egg
  • Went through the rest and pulled all small and very light brown eggs (I don't keep Jumbos for hatching anymore)
  • Filled up the 96 with the freshest eggs
  • Decided that I will not include eggs laid on Day 0 in my hatches...no time for them to warm up before putting them in the bator, I'm guessing the shock is not good for them

Last edited:
beautiful Sally! We call the honk the clown car horn, and I think their howl sounds like a super loud cat meow :lol
that is it!!! yeppers!!

They make many noises that mean different things. Will try to find some videos of them making the different noises.

-Kathy
really? I only lasted through the male when he started to vocalize and that was about 1.5 days!! bawahahhahhahah if I had more area and open instead of woods it may not sounds as loud and annoying!

Welcome to the 2016 Easter Hatch A Long!
jumpy.gif
frow.gif
Thanks for welcoming me Mike!!!
hugs.gif
lau.gif

You can see the difference in egg shell colors I'm getting. In this clutch of 122 eggs, only 18% were the darker brown, and that brown isn't even on the BCM chart. The lighter brown is the color all the eggs were from my Gen 0 layers.

I think I am going to start keeping eggs 14 days and fresher for the next hatch, in an attempt to get a higher ratio of darker eggs in the bator.
yes I would do so as well! nice darks!

Not sure if anyone will remember I was worried about my hen..she's ok! I was quite worried about her yesterday. Had egg shell and the white fall out, and she was just standing around fluffed up. I got all of that off of her, and now she is acting just fine. Preening on the back porch step with two others. I think she was just stressed to have something hanging there that she couldn't get off!
Yay! Glad she is well!

Quote: Peafowl sound like a cat screaming to me. There are some down the road from us and it always scares me when they start calling.

Quote: Happy Birthday!!!!!!! I'm so sorry you lost another bird.

Back
Top Bottom