The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Hey all so this isn't related to hatching hope you all don't mind but I wanted to bring my question to some of the most helpful people I know.

I have a pullet that is acting odd/under the weather. She is coming on five months and I'm worried about her with the way she is acting today. Her name is Jasmine, and she is 50% black orp(25% English) her Mommy was a white mix that laid pink eggs daily. I think she has some leghorn in her but her comb seems to be a peacomb like Mom. She was given to me by another BYCER and was part of the group of 6 chicks I lost half to cocci at 7 weeks. They were treated and the other three survived.

She has her head tucked in, feathers ruffled, tail down, she also shakes her head periodically. Her crop is full but pliable she did eat a bit of fried egg I gave her. There is no rotten or off smell from her mouth. Mostly she's just lethargic and did not leave the coop today. Her vent is clean and appears normal. She doesn't seem to have any lice or mites, although I'm not sure what it would really look like, but no bugs dark dander or nits. And both of her sisters that are orps are fine. Her eyes are bright and there is no discharge from her nostrils.

Should I worry about an impacted crop? Could she have cocci again? Please help I'm a very worried Momma and I already feel like I failed with these wonderful chicks I was given. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Guess these breeds lol. The polish was supposed to be a buff laced but I'm pretty sure it's a golden polish. I could be wrong these are my first polish so not much experience with the breed.

They are so stinkin cute

The other day, I bought a shipping crate to turn into a new brooder. I fully intended to make room for it in the barn because my husband won't let me keep chicks in the house any more. I was really surprised when he said that I would have to clean out the spare bedroom to make room for it. That was never my plan, but who am I to argue?

We ordered parts for the new incubator this week. I'm still hoping to have it running before the set date for the hatch a long.

Thats awesome

Hey all so this isn't related to hatching hope you all don't mind but I wanted to bring my question to some of the most helpful people I know.

I have a pullet that is acting odd/under the weather. She is coming on five months and I'm worried about her with the way she is acting today. Her name is Jasmine, and she is 50% black orp(25% English) her Mommy was a white mix that laid pink eggs daily. I think she has some leghorn in her but her comb seems to be a peacomb like Mom. She was given to me by another BYCER and was part of the group of 6 chicks I lost half to cocci at 7 weeks. They were treated and the other three survived.

She has her head tucked in, feathers ruffled, tail down, she also shakes her head periodically. Her crop is full but pliable she did eat a bit of fried egg I gave her. There is no rotten or off smell from her mouth. Mostly she's just lethargic and did not leave the coop today. Her vent is clean and appears normal. She doesn't seem to have any lice or mites, although I'm not sure what it would really look like, but no bugs dark dander or nits. And both of her sisters that are orps are fine. Her eyes are bright and there is no discharge from her nostrils.

Should I worry about an impacted crop? Could she have cocci again? Please help I'm a very worried Momma and I already feel like I failed with these wonderful chicks I was given. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That sounds like the same thing i had going on a while ago , i treated it like cocci and i took the infected one away from the others then i bleached the entire chicken area and waters as well

Last edited:

Do they feel light? Or like their breast bone is out but they still eat and drink ( atleast till they got lethargic ) cause mine did that they walked away eating drinking acting normal then the next day i noticed their wings were hanging a bit then the next day they were lethargic and heads tucked much like ur describing and one walked really slow

ISO A SMOOTH Tolbunt roo in the Kingman or Mesa area in Arizona or Near Hemet in Ca ASAP if anyone knows of one must be breeding age ty

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom