The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 20, 2016.

1. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Has she started laying yet? Do you have any cocks/cockerels in the coop? If she is close to laying or recently started and you have any boys in the coop, especially young, hormone-filled ones, they may be harassing her to the point that she can not get anything to eat or drink. Pick her up and see if she feels light. I would get her some good organic, plain yogurt (homemade kefir is even better if you have access to some) and mix it with some hard-boiled egg yolks. Mix some in with a little of her regular feed. Try to hand feed her a few times a day to make sure she is getting enough. Also make sure to give her water. It could be cocci again if she was not affected enough the first time through to build up an immunity or it may be a different strain than the first time. You could treat her for cocci again. I don't think it would hurt her. Good luck and let us know how she does.

2. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

I have a clutch of 9 hona eggs so I moved the pair out to their new (temporary) home! It's a teensy bit smaller than the crate in the loft, but in a day or two I'll open the bottom of the tractor and they'll have grass and sunshine! :weee

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    X2!

Poop normal? Balance issues? It sure wouldn't hurt to treat her for cocci again, though she should have an immunity to it by now.

How cold is it where you are? Sometimes they puff their feathers out and stay still when it's cold.

4. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA

OK wow thank you all for the responses. I'm going to try to answer everyone's questions and give you any more info I can think of.

The temp here is about 35* right now(southern WI) they were locked up all yesterday due to sleet and nastiness here but have otherwise been free ranging normally except when we have had bad weather. She seemed maybe mildly off to me yesterday but DH2B didn't think it was anything and now today she seems a bit worse. She's a very tall regal little girl usually so seeing her head tucked is quite a difference. She was eating crumbles out of a feeder last night no problem, not 100% sure if she drank. She has also shown some interest in treats, but not like usual, today. She is pretty high on the pecking order despite the sisters being the youngest flock members, and no new birds have been brought in since they were introduced.
    I have not seen her poop so I can not say to that, although I have seen a few mild diarrhea-like poops but thought they may have been cecal. No bloody stools from anyway and her white and black flecked feathers are completely clean around he vent.

We have never wormed our flock, but again our oldest birds don't turn 1 until April or May. To be honest I am not sure what to use since everyone has a different opinion and some things are not approved for use in chickens and thus withdrawal would be the life of the bird. So any help on that would be great as well.

To my knowledge she has not layed yet and I have never seen any of our cockerals try to breed her, or seen her getting harassed. We currently have two oegbs, two silkies, and one silver laced wyandotte cockerals. I believe the only one that could breed her is the wyandotte, not that the others wouldn't try if they got the chance. I have also never seen her squat or seen her or her sister get grabbed or try to be bred. Thankfully all of our cockerals are quite the gentleman with our ladies.

She doesn't seem to be having balance issues and I did see her slowly trot over to cuddle her sisters earlier and she did run a bit when I tried to grab her(always been a bit flighty then turns to a Sweetie in your arms) but she is usually quite the forager and loves to run around.

I did forget to mention that my DH2B did find her sleeping out on the ground just before dark day before yesterday when the rest of the birds were heading in. It had been a sunny day but was getting chilly and the sun was almost completely down.

The flock is in a building that was used as a "cooler" in years past for show cattle. They are on shavings and a bale of straw that was given to them to play in when we had some -30* wind chill days.

How would I know if she could have an impacted crop?

I will add more if I'm forgetting anything or if you want some more info please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated as always thank you all

5. Eps32

Eps32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone for all the replies the first one is a golden campine the second not sure the third is a golden polish forth phoneix fifth not sure sixth partridge rock seventh silver lace wyndote the black ones are either black austrlorps or blue andulsians even though not blue I'm told they will still carry the blue gene

6. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Actually, if the only Andalusians you received are black, they will not carry the blue (dilution) gene. A chicken with one copy of the dilution gene will be blue and one with two copies will be splash. If you want to breed for blue, you will have to find a blue or splash mate for your blacks.

ETA - sometimes it is difficult to tell a dark blue from a black until they get much older. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Quote:
    Like this chart:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. caeti21

caeti21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2015
    Florida

So when mine acted this way i gave them i had four that sounded like what yr describing , i gave them a powder vitimin that goes in their water it has live microorganisms and electrolytes as well as sulmet in their water , then i gave them strike three wormer its a pellet that i just tossed in their feed i made sure they ate them and the two that seems worse i soaked the pellets in water so they were mush and fed it to them three of mine survived and are still alive and well , but i followed the direction on sulmet and they pulled through i also gave them yogurt on top of everything else and placed them in their own quiet boxes with heating pads and fresh water ( without meds as well) so i hope this helps you and i hope she gets better

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats. (meaning while it's still dark out) Her crop should be empty by morning. If it's still full, like it is now, it's likely impacted. Also, make sure they have access to grit or small pebbles to swallow to grind up grasses in their crops.

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I would treat for cocci again, you have a sulfa product ? I forget what you had used last time, Sorry your having this issue sweetie cocci has to suck.

WELCOME!!!

yayyyayayya freshness!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by