The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Quote: I have a few acres. 45 or so (I refuse to count them) chickens, 2 bee hives. (soon will turn to 4 bee hives I'm sure, they multiply like chickens) I agree, mini cows sound great, but I can't be here every day to milk them.

lol.png

Sure I am! I'm helping you DECIDE. Didn't have any "Duck"s in the gif!

lau.gif

highfive.gif
lol.png
You are funny. Are quail even worth the time to process? Then I'd just have something else I'd want to hatch.

Made these today to decorate my coop with. Not perfect, but it was fun anyhow
I was trying to get antique color styles with the egg sign
this one I've had planned for a while for the coop door

lol.png
You are funny. Are quail even worth the time to process? Then I'd just have something else I'd want to hatch.

I'll let you know, my first ones are cooking in the incubator currently. I've been googling quail vids like mad, though, and cleaning them looks to be a snap compared to chickens. You get less meat, but they cook fast, clean fast, and grow/hatch fast. Raise a bunch up, ready to process in 6 to 8 weeks, rinse, repeat. I love hatching, so getting to do that and not having chickens piling up is a bonus. Cots raise up so fast, it's amazing turn around time. Plus, they are so darn cute (in feathers and out). I love my chickens for the eggs, but they are more of a pain in the rear to process than it looks like the quail are. More of a production, more space needed, more of a mess Quail pluck easy, skin even easier. The quail are dark meat, pretty much just eat the breast and legs, quick to remove the rest.
</quailonthebrain>

Last edited:
I'll let you know, my first ones are cooking in the incubator currently.  I've been googling quail vids like mad, though, and cleaning them looks to be a snap compared to chickens.  You get less meat, but they cook fast, clean fast, and grow/hatch fast.  Raise a bunch up, ready to process in 6 to 8 weeks, rinse, repeat.  I love hatching, so getting to do that and not having chickens piling up is a bonus.  Cots raise up so fast, it's amazing turn around time.  Plus, they are so darn cute (in feathers and out).  I love my chickens for the eggs, but they are more of a pain in the rear to process than it looks like the quail are.  More of a production, more space needed, more of a mess  Quail pluck easy, skin even easier.  The quail are dark meat, pretty much just eat the breast and legs, quick to remove the rest.  
</quailonthebrain>
I had the same thought but they were too cute to do in.

Ya I know what I'd do but it would be bad advice. Luckily my neighbors are pretty far away. And would never try anything like that. We shoot on are property all the time we have a little home made gun range. So people pretty much stay off are property. But like all ready said the best thing you can do is get a camera. Point in in that direction with a sign saying will prosecute camera on premises.
I'm many pages behind again! The work thing really gets in the way!
We have the same solution and have a small home made gun range. We don't have any problems with the neighbors! Of course they have shooting ranges too. I am in TN, y'all.
One thing you have to do here is have No Trespassing signs posted every so often before you can prosecute someone for trespassing. I am so sorry to hear people are chicken-napping.
That's really low life! A game cam would give you the proof you need.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Sooooooooo pretty. Must..........not...............get................quail.............or...............ducks................

(but all bets are off when my kids leave the nest)

Must

Get

Quail

And

Ducks!

I cant have ducks, too noisy. sniffle
What kind of quail? Cots? What variety?
Jus some Golden an Pharaoh Coturnix.
love.gif

Awwwwwwwwwwww. Wub.
love.gif

Have I mentioned that I love my pair of Dickey's cabinets (incubator and hatcher)? Love. Seriously. They're older, picked them up off craig's list from a pheasant guy getting out of the biz. They've got some wear on them, but thus far have been solid stable the past couple years. Hatcher trays are old style, so they have bent wire lids on them and they are getting pretty beat up, so I sucked it up and ordered 4 new hatching trays for it of the new drop cover style. Ernest Dickey is the nicest guy to talk to. Two days later, I've got my boxes from Dickey's. The new trays are so much nicer than the old ones (that were probably 8 or 10 years old). Love the new drop over lids and solid metal components (the old ones have wood fronts and backs). Aaa-ay-aaand they came with 2 adjustable dividers! Woot! Didn't know they'd added those. That will make it sooooooooooooo much nicer! I can split up hatching into batches, better division for me while dirtying fewer trays at a go. Score!

Left shows the top off, 2 dividers in place, tilted up, looking down into the tray. Right shows the lid on, tilted up, looking down into the tray, with the others below.

Also ordered a clear acrylic door to replace my wooden door with a window. All the better to see you with, my dears! It's still in it's sticky paper until I get it in place, but will get a photo when I get it installed this weekend. Hatch is going to be killer this year! I wanted my boys to be able to see as much as possible. Yeah....that's the ticket....it was ENTIRELY for the boys. Shoot, if it were just me, I'd NEVER look in there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Operation "Pimp My Hatcher" is a go.

Fricken SWEET!

I am trying to find a nice older incubator.

I really like the Dickey Bators myself.
I have conned the Wife into getting another bator, may as well watch her chit brix when I lug a CABNIT bator in
gig.gif

I saw a really nice Dickey combo coupla weeks ago on CL, but was goin back an forth with the Wife at the time
he.gif
It had the clear door on it too!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

I found this today http://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/atq/5442624985.html
(I think it's an old Leahy
hide.gif
really beat up and not the best pichers)

Pimp my Hatcher
lau.gif

You need help, and my psychiatrist quit so i cant help you

SURE YOU'D NEVER LOOK IN THERE ANYWAY<><>THAT'S WHY YOU GOT THE CLEAR DOOR!!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Did you see what happened to my old one? It was horrible!

Ouch!
What the heck happened?
hugs.gif

lau.gif

cool.png

NOT helping.
smack.gif
lol.png

lol.png

Sure I am! I'm helping you DECIDE. Didn't have any "Duck"s in the gif!
Trufax!

I have a few acres. 45 or so (I refuse to count them) chickens, 2 bee hives. (soon will turn to 4 bee hives I'm sure, they multiply like chickens) I agree, mini cows sound great, but I can't be here every day to milk them.

lol.png
You got 45 acres and your waiting for the kids to leave before you get quail?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Really????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

They are super easy to process.
If you skin em!
lol.png

It's ok if you want to hatch them!!

MUST

HATCH

MOAR

STUFFS!!!!

Maybe you could release them, they do fairly well. Check your laws first blah blah blah

OR

Do Bobwhites and sell to dog hunt clubs/outdoor ranges.

I'll let you know, my first ones are cooking in the incubator currently. I've been googling quail vids like mad, though, and cleaning them looks to be a snap compared to chickens. You get less meat, but they cook fast, clean fast, and grow/hatch fast. Raise a bunch up, ready to process in 6 to 8 weeks, rinse, repeat. I love hatching, so getting to do that and not having chickens piling up is a bonus. Cots raise up so fast, it's amazing turn around time. Plus, they are so darn cute (in feathers and out). I love my chickens for the eggs, but they are more of a pain in the rear to process than it looks like the quail are. More of a production, more space needed, more of a mess Quail pluck easy, skin even easier. The quail are dark meat, pretty much just eat the breast and legs, quick to remove the rest.
</quailonthebrain>
X2

More meat if you process at 10 weeks.

They do look a lil haggard round abouts that second week tho, with all them sickly pin feather things.....

Sorry I missed you
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom